Friday, November 7, 2008

The test of a parenting model...

This is an excerpt from Grace-based Parenting by Tim Kimmel, pp.9-10.
"The real test of a parenting model is how well equipped the children are to move into adulthood as vital members of the human race. Notice I didn't say "as vital members of the Christian community." We need to have kids that can be sent off to the most hostile universities, toil in the greediest work environments, and raise their families in the most hedonistic communities and yet not be the least bit intimidated by their surroundings. Furthermore, they need to be engaged in the lives of people in their culture, gracefully representing Christ's love inside these desperate surroundings. The apostle Paul gave us as parents an excellent goal for our children to pursue:
"Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life--in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing. Philippians 2:14-16"

I was reading Michelle's comment to my last post (thanks Michelle =) ) and it brought this quote to my mind about what my yardstick should be about what I expose my children to. My goal is not to hide them away but it is also not to throw them to the wolves. I want them to be strong enough to fight and stand up, but I don't want to push it on them before they're old enough to grow. I just don't know yet, what that looks like, but I pray and hope that God will lead me.

The verse from Philippians is very challenging to me. I know that I need to live a better life and I need to be a better model to my children than I am.

No comments: