Sunday, July 29, 2012

Sometimes the Movie is better than the book

Two of my favorite movies are Wives and Daughters and North and South .  They are both written by Elizabeth Gaskell.  I love the development of the characters and the story lines.  I think I love them more than Pride and Prejudice actually.  I know that often books end differently than movies, so I wanted to read the book endings.

I did.

And I didn't like them!

Ms. Gaskell actually passed away before she finished Wives and Daughters.  I think the BBC did a great job coming up with a great ending.  The book ends before the story ends.  As for North and South, Margaret is such a different sort of character in the book than in the movie!  She's so much more froofy and fluffy in the book.  She is also much more inconstant and caught up in society.  This is not how she is portrayed in the movie.  In the BBC version of North and South, the characters are consistent in character and believable to me.  They do leave out details that change the story and would make it less connected.

The only thing I can conclude is that once in a while the movie is better than the book.

No comments: