Skip to main content

One Reason We Homeschool

Yesterday, I volunteered at our local library's book sale.  Several local teachers had been given gift certificates from a grant to purchase books for their school.  We were all glad to see them come and redeem these certificates.  But, I found some interesting thoughts and emotions in my head as they were there.

First, I wanted to be respected by them.  I have found that I often desire this from other teachers.  I was once one of them--a middle school teacher in the public schools.  But, I've found as a homeschool teacher I've rarely had their respect when I tell teachers that I homeschool.  I don't think it's seen on the same level professionally.  

Honestly, I'm a better teacher now after homeschooling my children for the past 7 years than while I was teaching middle school.  I've learned so much about how children learn.  I've learned about paying attention to the process of learning more and being more observant.  I've learned much more about how children learn to read than I understood when I was student teaching in first grade.  I've set aside a lot of dogma I was indoctrinated with--like the idea that it's better to read anything than not to be reading and whole language reading methods are the best way to teach reading.  

But, there was another thought running through my head.  It was "This is why I homeschool."  I listened as the teachers discussed what books to get for the kids.  I was surprised as they passed over good, classic books in favor of Pride and Prejudice and the Zombies and a lesbian romance book (the teachers had a discussion about the value of why they wanted it in their classrooms).  I asked the middle school language arts teacher what books she liked for her kids or what favorite authors she had for them.  She couldn't tell me a single one and just blew me off.  I am always looking for suggestions for good books--that's why I asked.  

Part of why I homeschool is because of what I want my kids to learn and be exposed to.  There's only so much time in a school day.  Why waste it on junk?  I want to teach them what is right and wrong.  I want them to learn and not just learn what a state standardized test wants them to know.  I care about what my kids read.  The teachers responses reminded me of how I felt 10 years ago when I was teaching middle school.  Teachers believe you just need to get kids reading.  It's a rare teacher (I had a friend who was one) who thinks kids need to read books that have good writing and language in them and not just what interests them even if it isn't well written.

I don't homeschool simply out of a reaction to our culture and what the public schools teach, but it was a catalyst for me seriously considering it as an option for our family eight years ago.

Speaking of which, I need to get to homeschooling...  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison of Verses

Tonight I was reading the Mom's Bible again (NCV) and compared this verse: NCV Ephesians 5:22-24 22 Wives, yield to your husbands, as you do to the Lord, 23 because the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ is the head of the church. And he is the Savior of the body, which is the church. 24 As the church yields to Christ, so you wives should yield to your husbands in everything. NIV Ephesians 5:22-24 22 Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything. The Message 22-24 Wives, understand and support your husbands in ways that show your support for Christ. The husband provides leadership to his wife the way Christ does to his church, not by domineering but by cherishing. So just as the church submits to Christ as he exercises such leadership, wives should likewis...

Grieved

Why is it that my generation (I belong to Gen X) and generations after us always seem to think that they know more than the generations that have come before us? Why is there such a lack of respect in our generation for our elders? Why do we think that the liturgy of the church and hymns are irrelevant? It is ironic to me that the emergent movement is saying that the seeker sensitive movement is irrelevant. It seems as if it was only a few years ago when it was the seeker sensitive movement that said to the traditional church that it (the traditional church) was irrelevant. I'm reading a book with all of these big words and I want to be honest--I didn't understand a lot of it. I'm not dumb. I understood most of it, but the author was assuming a lot of background knowledge on the part of the reader. Most of the time I learn deep theological concepts and then I have to store them in my "attic" (as Autumn would say) because there isn't enough room in the ...

ESV, NIV, or NASB and then there's the ICB, ESV or NIrV...which should we read?

I am so thankful for my friend's question about the ESV vs. NASB and NIV. I couldn't remember the difference so I went to look it up. I knew that John Piper and Tim Keller, both pastors and authors that I deeply respect have switched over to the ESV. All of the churches that we have attended over the past few years PCA or Reformed Baptist have also switched to the ESV. I did find a blog that explained the differences and that helped me ( http://thefoolishgalatian.wordpress.com/2007/10/22/niv-vs-esv-and-why-piper-switched/ ) I knew why I didn't like the KJV--it was written in the days when writers were paid by a patron and that often slanted the translation. The NKJV, from what I understand, is a revision of the KJV that uses more modern language. Most churches I have attended used the NIV until the ESV came out. The blog I found explained that the ESV is a more literal translation---like the NASB. The NASB is a very literal translation. The ESV has come to be consid...