Skip to main content

Choosing a Bible

A few years ago, I wrote a post about the different translations of the Bible.  In the process of reviewing many books over the past few years, I considered different translations and the importance of what Bible I choose to read.  I had read the NIV translation for years.  Then, the ESV was published.  The church we attended at the time switched over to the ESV.  

When it was time to choose a Bible for my children, I was puzzled.  I ended up choosing a NIrV Discoverer's Bible for my oldest daughter's first Bible when she was seven.  Then, she grew into the Grow! Bible ESV translation.  A year or two later, that Bible became my younger daughter's Bible and my older daughter acquired the ESV Seek and Find Bible.  Both girls have enjoyed both.  And for their needs and ages, these have been great Bibles.  They're both the ESV translation that we read in church so they can follow along easily.  But, both have notes and added information around the text that my children have enjoyed reading.

I have been reading the Reformation Study Bible ESV for several years.  A lot of people I know read this edition.  I have enjoyed it.  There are cross references and notes below the text.  This is the same edition that most of my friends who use the ESV have.  But, I think that there is a new one I would recommend if you're thinking of getting a new Bible.  It is the Gospel Transformation Bible, a new Bible being published by Crossway.

This Bible includes a commentary like others and cross references, but it is very different too.  The goal of the contributors and editors of this Bible was to show Christ in all of scripture.  The editors put the overarching goal well on the first page, "1) to enable readers to understand that the whole Bible is a unified message of the gospel of God's grace culminating in Christ Jesus, and 2) to help believers apply this good news to their everyday lives in a heart-transforming way."  There's a wonderful introduction in the front of the Bible that goes on in more detail about the focus of the notes in the Bible and the thread--Christ.  A different contributor wrote study notes for each of the books.  The notes are different than ones I've read in other Bibles.  The notes in this Bible connect together.  I like that a lot!  Interestingly, the notes are not all written by men.  Four women did contribute notes for the Bible.  I am glad for this.

If I had a friend whose faith was new and they were new to reading the Bible, this is a Bible I would give to them.  It is a wonderful guide.  The Word is easy to read because the notes and references are below the text not beside it.  There is an easy to read introduction before each book as most Bibles have.  The comments help explain the verses. The notes in this Bible remind me of Warren Wiersbe's Bible commentary--of his easy to understand and relateable style of writing.  I read several of the passages that have caused me concern over the years but I had no issues with the commentary for these passages.  You're probably wondering what passages I mean.  One of them is the passage in the Ephesians 5:22-27 about wives submitting to their husbands and husbands loving their wives.  The comment in this edition was very well put and addressed the whole passage.  

On CBD, you can preview the text from Genesis and Mark and get a sample of the notes and how the text looks.  On Amazon, you can preview the introduction, but the preview helped me to know I would never recommend the Kindle edition of this Bible!  The notes are not with the text on the Kindle edition as they are in the hardcover print edition.  

If you're looking for an ESV hardcover Bible with notes for yourself, I would definitely recommend this edition.  And if you are looking for a gift for another, I'd definitely recommend taking a look at this one.  I like it and plan on using it for my personal Bible study.  I know that sounds very simple and straight to the point, but this isn't a fluffy scholarly review of a Bible translation.  This is just me saying that I like this Bible.  It's easy to read, the print is clear, and the notes are helpful.  And that sums it up.

Please note that I received a complimentary copy of this Bible for review from Crossway.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grieved

Why is it that my generation (I belong to Gen X) and generations after us always seem to think that they know more than the generations that have come before us? Why is there such a lack of respect in our generation for our elders? Why do we think that the liturgy of the church and hymns are irrelevant? It is ironic to me that the emergent movement is saying that the seeker sensitive movement is irrelevant. It seems as if it was only a few years ago when it was the seeker sensitive movement that said to the traditional church that it (the traditional church) was irrelevant. I'm reading a book with all of these big words and I want to be honest--I didn't understand a lot of it. I'm not dumb. I understood most of it, but the author was assuming a lot of background knowledge on the part of the reader. Most of the time I learn deep theological concepts and then I have to store them in my "attic" (as Autumn would say) because there isn't enough room in the ...

Missing Pieces

The other day I was discussing a book with my mom and explaining to her my concern about how "blame" is cast upon the child in the story.  My mom commented about how deeply I read and consider what is written. Sometimes I wonder if I go overboard.  Am I questioning too much?  Am I overreacting? Why am I reacting this way? I come back to knowing that God wired me this way.  But, I also reflect on how God has guided my path through the maze of books I've read over the past few years and what I've learned from the books themselves and from reading them.   Recently, I read a book that troubled me.  The book I finished reading was  Guiltless Living  by Ginger Hubbard.  When I began reading it, I found myself puzzled and then disconcerted. And in the end, I cried. But, I cried for a different reason than one might suspect. I'd like to explain. I did not read Ms. Hubbard's previous book “ Don't Make Me Count to Three ”, but I knew from f...

ESV, NIV, or NASB and then there's the ICB, ESV or NIrV...which should we read?

I am so thankful for my friend's question about the ESV vs. NASB and NIV. I couldn't remember the difference so I went to look it up. I knew that John Piper and Tim Keller, both pastors and authors that I deeply respect have switched over to the ESV. All of the churches that we have attended over the past few years PCA or Reformed Baptist have also switched to the ESV. I did find a blog that explained the differences and that helped me ( http://thefoolishgalatian.wordpress.com/2007/10/22/niv-vs-esv-and-why-piper-switched/ ) I knew why I didn't like the KJV--it was written in the days when writers were paid by a patron and that often slanted the translation. The NKJV, from what I understand, is a revision of the KJV that uses more modern language. Most churches I have attended used the NIV until the ESV came out. The blog I found explained that the ESV is a more literal translation---like the NASB. The NASB is a very literal translation. The ESV has come to be consid...