Skip to main content

A Different Historical Fiction Novel

I grew up in a Quaker church.  I didn't hear a lot about Jesus, but I did hear a lot about God and "that of God in every man."  I didn't understand it at the time, but I just finished reading a Christian fiction book who's main character was a Quaker woman in Cincinnati, Ohio.

The book was titled Blessing by Lyn Cote.  The story focuses on Blessing, Brightman.  A young
widow of means who is very active in the underground railroad and in helping orphans and widows in Cincinatti, while advocating women's rights and abolition.  Blessing is a very strong woman shaped by her past.  Enter into the picture her best friend Tippy, her friend's beau--Stoddard, and Stoddard's cousin--Gerard Ramsay.  Ramsay is determined that his cousin should stay single, but you can guess what happens in that regard.  Ramsay sees something in Blessing and she in him.  Blessing sees him as having the potential to be more than he is.  Ramsay doesn't see a point at the beginning in becoming more than he is, but he changes.

The story was more interesting and engaging than I expected.  It is a surprising story in that way for me.  This is the first time I think I've read a fiction book about a Quaker community and so it provoked some questions in me.  My knowledge of the Quakers is that they do not elevate the teachings of Christ and the Bible.  This is true.  For them, the revelations of the Holy Spirit is more important than the Bible.  In Ohio, from what I read and researched online, this was the case of the Ohio Quaker Meetings at the time of the story.  The book mentioned that some churches had gone to a programmed form of meeting--but doesn't mention that this is a move towards the Bible.  It was a group of Evangelical Quakers who began programmed meetings.

But, the problem authors face when setting a story in a historical setting is that all the facts have to agree with how you tell the story.  That is not the case from the quick research I did before writing this review.  Sojourner Truth could not have spoken in Cincinatti at the time of this book.  She went to Akron, Ohio in 1851, not in 1849.  The story Ms. Truth is reported having told also isn't what I read online as well.  I also struggled with how the Quakers were portrayed.  In an unprogrammed Quaker meeting, all men and women are considered preachers.  Very little is explained in this book about their meetings, though.  Perhaps it was better explained in the first book of this series?  I don't know.  But, that would make this book not very good as a stand-alone.

But, the thing I would most want any reader to know about the Quakers is that they do not agree with Evangelical Christians about the essentials of salvation and the inerrancy--and importance of the Bible.  Yes, the main character of this story is an admirable woman, but her church missed the Gospel.

The book is fine as a stand-alone story, but I think in some ways that the author missed the mark on her research.  I enjoyed reading it because it challenged me to step back and understand my own experience in the Quaker church better.

Please note that I received a complimentary copy of this book from Tyndale Publishing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grieved

Why is it that my generation (I belong to Gen X) and generations after us always seem to think that they know more than the generations that have come before us? Why is there such a lack of respect in our generation for our elders? Why do we think that the liturgy of the church and hymns are irrelevant? It is ironic to me that the emergent movement is saying that the seeker sensitive movement is irrelevant. It seems as if it was only a few years ago when it was the seeker sensitive movement that said to the traditional church that it (the traditional church) was irrelevant. I'm reading a book with all of these big words and I want to be honest--I didn't understand a lot of it. I'm not dumb. I understood most of it, but the author was assuming a lot of background knowledge on the part of the reader. Most of the time I learn deep theological concepts and then I have to store them in my "attic" (as Autumn would say) because there isn't enough room in the ...

Missing Pieces

The other day I was discussing a book with my mom and explaining to her my concern about how "blame" is cast upon the child in the story.  My mom commented about how deeply I read and consider what is written. Sometimes I wonder if I go overboard.  Am I questioning too much?  Am I overreacting? Why am I reacting this way? I come back to knowing that God wired me this way.  But, I also reflect on how God has guided my path through the maze of books I've read over the past few years and what I've learned from the books themselves and from reading them.   Recently, I read a book that troubled me.  The book I finished reading was  Guiltless Living  by Ginger Hubbard.  When I began reading it, I found myself puzzled and then disconcerted. And in the end, I cried. But, I cried for a different reason than one might suspect. I'd like to explain. I did not read Ms. Hubbard's previous book “ Don't Make Me Count to Three ”, but I knew from f...

ESV, NIV, or NASB and then there's the ICB, ESV or NIrV...which should we read?

I am so thankful for my friend's question about the ESV vs. NASB and NIV. I couldn't remember the difference so I went to look it up. I knew that John Piper and Tim Keller, both pastors and authors that I deeply respect have switched over to the ESV. All of the churches that we have attended over the past few years PCA or Reformed Baptist have also switched to the ESV. I did find a blog that explained the differences and that helped me ( http://thefoolishgalatian.wordpress.com/2007/10/22/niv-vs-esv-and-why-piper-switched/ ) I knew why I didn't like the KJV--it was written in the days when writers were paid by a patron and that often slanted the translation. The NKJV, from what I understand, is a revision of the KJV that uses more modern language. Most churches I have attended used the NIV until the ESV came out. The blog I found explained that the ESV is a more literal translation---like the NASB. The NASB is a very literal translation. The ESV has come to be consid...