Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Wonderful Children's Bible Storybook

I grew up Quaker--yes, Quaker! As a liberal Quaker, actually. I never heard about reformed theology, covenant theology, predestination and the likes. The first I heard of all of this was when we lived in Georgia and began attending a PCA (Presbyterian Church in America) church. We felt the Lord challenging us to know what we believed and why. My husband and I sought the Lord in His Word and sorted through what we thought and felt convicted of. We joined that church and have held to reformed theology since.

I've had many people ask me what that means. I usually answer that it means that I am saved by God's grace alone--not by anything that I did of myself. It was God's working in my heart that brought me to salvation--not my own efforts (free will).

"For by GRACE you have been saved through FAITH; and that not of yourselves, it is a gift of God; not as result of WORKS, so that no one may boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for GOOD WORKS, which God PREPARED BEFOREHAND so that we would WALK IN THEM." (Ephesians 2:8-10}

Even as I struggled to articulate and understand predestination, I have not even begun to try and explain it to my kids--honestly, because I've felt they are too young to understand. But, they are growing older and we have begun transitioning to older Bible storybooks and devotionals. Sometimes I get concerned, but God has been so gracious to provide me the right books at the right times.

And this is the case today!!

I have mentioned to several friends that a new Bible Storybook (Mighty Acts of God by Starr Meade) was being published from a reformed theology perspective. I have been so (!) curious about what this would look like--how would it be different? I've read so many Bible Storybooks (probably only 15, I suppose) that they seem to blend together a little for me.

BUT, this book is different. It is something that I was looking for and didn't even know it. This Bible storybook isn't one that you will be able to hand your children and let them read on your own. It is perfect for family devotions and discussions. The passages are a little longer and there aren't a lot of pictures. At first, I wasn't sure what I would think of that. I was going to comment that I wished there were more pictures. But, I don't. Autumn really wanted to read it this afternoon so I let her. What I found when I came back in the room was that she was flipping through all of the pictures rather than reading the words. She wanted to know the stories about the people. I don't think she fully realizes that the Bible is a story about God, not about people and their achievements. The age range on the back is 4-10. The author wrote it for Elementary Age students. I would recommend it for 6-10 year olds. My 4 year old is a little too young. She did still follow the story, but I think she'll understand a lot more in a year or 2.

The writing is good and very easy to understand. At first, I thought it was a little dry, but then I started reading it out loud--it is perfect for reading out loud to children. It isn't dry at all. If you read with a little inflection, it brings the passages to life and makes them personal to your children.

So, what does it mean that this book is written from a reformed perspective? Well, Starr Meade explains that God made a covenant with His people and what the word "covenant" means when she tells the story of Abraham and Sarah. But, she simplifies this by explaining it on a level that children understand. [Side note: even as I was writing this review, I began to review what "covenant theology" is. And I get confused! I have too many things in my brain! But, I agree wholeheartedly with what Starr Meade writes about the covenants that God has made to His people.] Often she identifies the promises that God has made--like the promise He made to Noah. She also explains predestination in the context of salvation. I thought she did a wonderful job! Predestination is a difficult thing to both understand and explain, but Starr Meade explained things just as I have come to understand them. She didn't say more than we know from scripture. The author doesn't read into the Bible and she's careful about what she infers throughout the book.

Do I recommend this story Bible? YES! It is one of the rare books that I will give 5 stars to without any hesitation. If you do believe in reformed theology, this would be a wonderful Bible storybook for devotions with your family!

Please note that I was provided with a complimentary copy of this book by Crossway for review--but I would have purchased it on my own if I had known about it!

PS I looked around for where you can preview it. On Crossway's website, you can read the first two chapters. If you scroll down and look under More Information. This will give you a good idea of how it's written and its format. =)

No comments: