Friday, March 5, 2010

Puzzling through this Book

I am reading a book right now that I am very puzzled about. It is a good, easy book to read that has been written in very conversational writing. But, my issue that I'm struggling with is one that I struggle with often lately.

Is it okay to read into the scriptures? Is this wise? What does it do for the reader and do the reader?

The book I've been reading right now is Sheila Walsh's latest book about trusting God, titled Beautiful Things Happen When a Woman Trusts God. Obviously, it's very different than Jerry Bridge's book. I expected it to be. To me, Sheila Walsh's books can be compared to Max Lucado's books--except that they are specifically for women. Walsh looks at trust from a much simpler perspective and doesn't define what trusting God means. She assumes that--like most authors I've read--that trusting God is defined by what it looks like.

I wanted to read this book because the publicity said that she talks about her struggles with depression and her life after being hospitalized for clinical depression. She does talk about this part of her life at the beginning of the book. Then she transitions to talking about a different Bible character for most of her chapters. Gideon, Joseph, and Tabitha are among the people she talks about. Amidst the stories, she has some wise things she shares. Here's one quote that a teacher said to her during Bible college that I especially liked:

"God is more interested in what He is doing in you than through you." p.137

Another quote I liked:

"Every person is given a different gift and calling, but there is a calling that we corporately share as believers: to love without limit because that is how we are loved by God." p. 110

But, then I come to the issue that I am struggling to sort out about this book. She puts herself and asks the reader to put herself in the shoes of the Bible characters often. She expounds on the stories in the Bible. I am so used to seeing this in books and Bible studies. I had stayed away from books that did this for awhile because they made me feel cynical and distrustful of the book.
I suppose it all comes down to this--I Don't Want To Know How They Felt! (I'm not mad at all in saying this, just passionate) I assume way too much in my life. I read into things and I battle those assumptions that are most often false! Even at this moment, I am battling inside trying not to assume things because someone hasn't emailed me back. And it is so hard for me. My mind wants to go down that path, but I know it's not wise. The point of the Scriptures is to point towards God and not towards Man--to "rightly see the God of Scripture" as Starr Meade says in Mighty Acts of God (p. 14)

Maybe for some people it isn't an issue to read into the Bible stories. They are able to let such inferences go and realize that what is inferred isn't in the scripture while not details confused. I think though that it isn't wise for me and it bothers me because it feels like we as the body of Christ too easily get caught up in the people rather than focusing on God. We like reading narratives like novels because they are enjoyable and easy to read. My daughters love to read the story of Esther over and over--though I think it's because they love Esther. I do too. I read that book in the Bible many times when I was a little girl. It doesn't make it wrong. And maybe that's the answer.

Maybe it's okay to read narratives or listen to sermons or read books that ask you to infer details into the Bible's stories once in a while to make a particular point. But, then we should go back to the scriptures and remember what is in God's Word and what isn't so that we don't get confused.

I am certain that Sheila Walsh prayed deeply as she wrote her book and this is the book she wrote from her heart. Her thoughts and what she shares are good and wise. I can feel that as I've read this book. I'm still not comfortable with how much she infers about the Bible stories, but there are strengths and really good things about this book. It would be very easy to read for someone who has recently come to know the Lord. There is also both a discussion guide and a Bible Study in the back of the book. That is a blessing because it would save a Bible study group money--they wouldn't have to buy a separate book to do a Bible Study of this group. I led a Bible Study which talked through Let Go and I came up with my own questions. It would be a lot easier to use this book and the questions at the back. I did read through them, though I didn't answer them and I thought they were good.

Is Beautiful Things Happen When a Woman Trusts God by Sheila Walsh worth reading? Yes, if it's the kind of book you like. If you enjoy Max Lucado or other books by Sheila Walsh, I would recommend it. I would also recommend going back to the Bible and reading the story in the Word of each character that she writes about in her book so that you will know what is and what isn't in the scripture. Sheila Walsh is probably a feeler (from the Myer's Briggs test) like most women and she does a good job of writing to women with love and a deep desire for them to be encouraged in their walk with the Lord.

Please note that I was provided with a complimentary copy of this book for review.

2 comments:

Kim said...

The "characters" of the Bible are not there as just an example for us. They point to Christ. When we focus on their lives and their feelings we miss the point of the Scriptures, entirely. That is, Jesus Christ and Him crucified. Or as Christ himself noted, "You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me." John 5:39

Anne said...

I agree with you. That's why I struggled with this book. I know that a lot of people think it's okay and are encouraged by it and so I try to sort through whether it's wise or not. I don't think it's a bad book--because there are a lot of really good things in it that I think will bless the women who read it. It's just that aspect of the story that doesn't sit with me. It's one of those books that needs to be tempered with reading the scripture. But, I suppose all books are that way, aren't they? =)