Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Divorce

We started our school year yesterday.  So far, it's been a great start.  A few little bumps, but I'm learning along the way.  Overall, it's going much better than the end of last year.

One of the things I've started off doing is reading a Bible story book during breakfast and then a chapter from the Bible.  We've started in Matthew.  Today we read chapter 2 which mentioned that Joseph had had in his mind to divorce Mary quietly when he discovered that she was pregnant.

Two months ago, I realized that my kids didn't know what the word "divorce" meant.  I explained that my mom, their grandma, was divorced.  I needed to explain that though God hates divorce, that it was okay that Grandma got divorced--that there was a reason.  It was tricky, but I felt okay about it.

It was interesting to come across the word in the Bible and for Autumn to notice it.  Later, she suddenly said, divorce is worse than breaking a tea cup.  She paused, and then she said, it's a hundred times worse.  She understood that divorce is a very sad thing.  Sometimes it's hard to explain such grown up things to little children.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Some times it's hard to explain such grown up things to grown ups! :)