Monday, December 30, 2013

Catan: Boys vs. Girls

For Christmas, I gave my husband the game, Settlers of Catan.  We had talked about getting it for a long time.  It was on sale at Target just before Christmas and so I was glad to be able to get it for him.

We sat down to play it with our girls yesterday and had a great time!  But, I noticed a few things about our game.

When my younger daughter wanted a particular resource card, I said "okay."  My husband looked at me with incredulity and said, "You're not supposed to do that!"  I watched us reaction.  A minute later, she added another section of road and took a card from my husband that gave him some points towards winning.  Both my daughters and I responded by going "Ahhh..  Oh, we're so sorry.  It'll be okay."  

That's girls.  I sat there for a minute and realized what had happened.  Then, I made an announcement to the group. 

I said, "This is what happens when girls play this game!  If it had been a group of boys, they would have said to my husband, "Ha! Ha!  Yahoo!  You lost the road!  Whoo!"  with a voice of victory and taunting fun.  

Boys.

I burst out laughing because of the realization!  

I know that some girls are super competitive.  I am actually one of them and I have been a poor sport most of my life.  This happened to be one of my more successful times playing and being a good sport!  I was relaxed about it and wasn't out to win.  I was out to have fun and not stress.  I have raised my kids to enjoy playing the game, not to enjoy winning.  Because I didn't want them to think it wasn't any fun when they lose.  I've never emphasized the loser when we play a game.  

And now they're good sports.  I'm so proud of them!  They can win and play for fun.  But, they can lose and still be glad they played.  I played UNO with my older daughter yesterday and she didn't hold back any punches!  So, I matched her and played the same way.  We had a good time.  She won two matches and I won two.  

But, it isn't serious and it's just for fun.  I am so thankful for this gift.  I am thankful that my girls are better sports that I was and have been.  I am proud of them.

No comments: