Skip to main content

Interesting little twist

This week I read several Christian fiction books.  One was a quick and easy read and one wasn't so easy to read.

The first book I read was one that Tracie Peterson wrote several years ago titled What she left me.  It is a story about abandonment and abuse, but also about healing.  There were several truths about forgiveness and the truth of situations that are the kind that leave deep scars for life.  There were several parts that were extremely difficult to read--which I skipped parts of.  The author explains at the beginning of the book in a note that it isn't a book for teenage girls to read.  I agree.  Tracie Peterson typically writes romantic fiction.  This book is a realistic fiction in which she tries to tackle some of the yuckiness of life.   It was good.  I am glad that I read this book, although it will probably take some time to get a few of the yucky scenes out of my head.  This is one of those books to read with caution.  

The second book I read was by Sarah Sundin, titled Anchor in the Storm.  A month ago, I picked up an older series by Ms. Sundin and reread it because I wanted to reread the plot.  I enjoyed the easy read and also enjoyed that I didn't have to worry about certain scenes that have come up in the last few books by Julie Klassen's books.  For this reason, Ms. Sundin is "safer" for me to read.  She seems to like the World War I/World War II era.  Anchor in the Storm is set in Boston during World War II.  The main character Lillian has a prosthetic leg which makes her a cripple in the eyes of the world.  The scenes from the story made me more curious about life back then.  Lillian has set out for Boston to work as a pharmacist.  She and her brother's best friend, Arch, become friends and partners trying to solve a medicinal mystery that involves the drug store Lillian works for and the ship where Arch is stationed.  There are twists and turns, of course, and a good ending.  

I enjoyed the story and how easy it was to read.  Ms. Sundin's writing is competent.  It wouldn't stand out, but her plot helps.  It's a story--this one isn't necessarily realistic to history.  It's just fun to read.

If you enjoy Christian fiction set in World War II and enjoy authors like Lauraine Snelling, Tracie Peterson, or others like them, then you'd enjoy this book.

Please note that I received a complimentary copy of Anchor in the Storm for review from Revell Books.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grieved

Why is it that my generation (I belong to Gen X) and generations after us always seem to think that they know more than the generations that have come before us? Why is there such a lack of respect in our generation for our elders? Why do we think that the liturgy of the church and hymns are irrelevant? It is ironic to me that the emergent movement is saying that the seeker sensitive movement is irrelevant. It seems as if it was only a few years ago when it was the seeker sensitive movement that said to the traditional church that it (the traditional church) was irrelevant. I'm reading a book with all of these big words and I want to be honest--I didn't understand a lot of it. I'm not dumb. I understood most of it, but the author was assuming a lot of background knowledge on the part of the reader. Most of the time I learn deep theological concepts and then I have to store them in my "attic" (as Autumn would say) because there isn't enough room in the ...

Missing Pieces

The other day I was discussing a book with my mom and explaining to her my concern about how "blame" is cast upon the child in the story.  My mom commented about how deeply I read and consider what is written. Sometimes I wonder if I go overboard.  Am I questioning too much?  Am I overreacting? Why am I reacting this way? I come back to knowing that God wired me this way.  But, I also reflect on how God has guided my path through the maze of books I've read over the past few years and what I've learned from the books themselves and from reading them.   Recently, I read a book that troubled me.  The book I finished reading was  Guiltless Living  by Ginger Hubbard.  When I began reading it, I found myself puzzled and then disconcerted. And in the end, I cried. But, I cried for a different reason than one might suspect. I'd like to explain. I did not read Ms. Hubbard's previous book “ Don't Make Me Count to Three ”, but I knew from f...

ESV, NIV, or NASB and then there's the ICB, ESV or NIrV...which should we read?

I am so thankful for my friend's question about the ESV vs. NASB and NIV. I couldn't remember the difference so I went to look it up. I knew that John Piper and Tim Keller, both pastors and authors that I deeply respect have switched over to the ESV. All of the churches that we have attended over the past few years PCA or Reformed Baptist have also switched to the ESV. I did find a blog that explained the differences and that helped me ( http://thefoolishgalatian.wordpress.com/2007/10/22/niv-vs-esv-and-why-piper-switched/ ) I knew why I didn't like the KJV--it was written in the days when writers were paid by a patron and that often slanted the translation. The NKJV, from what I understand, is a revision of the KJV that uses more modern language. Most churches I have attended used the NIV until the ESV came out. The blog I found explained that the ESV is a more literal translation---like the NASB. The NASB is a very literal translation. The ESV has come to be consid...