Monday, May 13, 2013

Mother's Day Thoughts



“Happiness is a gift and the trick is not to expect it, but to delight in it when it comes.”


I heard this quote when I was watching Nicholas Nickleby this week.  We live in a society that tells us to expect happiness.  That happiness is the point.  

Tonight my oldest daughter was disappointed with how her night turned out.  I know she's 9 1/2 years old, but still I understood.  I tried to explain to her that sometimes that's just how life is.  So instead of wanting things to be another way, we have to enjoy what we can and accept when things are different.  I find that a lot of life is that way.  

Mother's Day was not what I expected.  Sunday is a busy morning for me.  There's always something else that needs to get done before we get out the door and on our way to church.  My son fell at church and bonked his head--hard.  So, I sat through church a little worried with a daughter next to me who was worried.  Then after church, I checked in with my husband and my son who'd gone home together--so far so good.  We went to Panera, which thankfully wasn't busy, with my mom and mother in law.  It was just a strange day.  I think our culture says that Mom should have a day off on Mother's Day.  But, my Mother's Day doesn't work that way.  I know my husband and kids love me, but honestly, it just doesn't work that way.  

So, what will I remember?  

Going for a bike ride with my kids at the high school two blocks away.  All 3 kids and me.  We made loops and coasted down hills.  We went to visit their friends and they jumped on a trampoline (not my son since he'd bumped his head earlier).  I spent another day being mom.  That's my job that I've been blessed to have.  

I hope you spent Mother's Day with people you love--even if it wasn't a day of rest.

1 comment:

Kim said...

That sounds like a great Mother's Day (bonked head, aside). And I don't know anyone who gets Mother's Day off. I got breakfast made for me. The rest of the day...well, it was the rest of the day. And honestly, I just enjoyed being with my family.

I did tell my husband that all I wanted was to be right all day. Yeah, we don't always get what we want! :)