Sunday, June 19, 2016

Being a Mom

When my kids were younger, I read so many, many parenting books.  When they came across my desk for review, I read them.  Some were good, some were strange.  Some were on the mark, and some were way, way off the mark!  Over time I found a few that I love.

1.  The Journey of a Strong Willed Child by Kendra Smiley
2.  Growing Grateful Kids by Susie Larson
3.  The Bible Study that goes along with Shepherding a Child's Heart (it walks through all the Bible verses about parenting)
4.  Little Lamb Who Made Thee? by Walt Wangerin Jr.

For parents of infants and toddlers:
1.  Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron
2.  Healthy Sleep habits, Happy Child by Marc Weissbluth

But, every once in a while I read a new parenting book out of curiosity.  That's the case of the book in front of me, The Mother Letters:  Sharing the Laughter, Joy, Struggles, and Hope, edited by Amber C. Haines and Seth Haines.

This book is the compilation of letters that Seth Haines collected for his wife from friends, relatives, authors, and bloggers she enjoyed reading.  

I didn't expect to like this book.  But, I do.  

I can open to any of the letters and recognize that each of the women who have written a letter have had their own experience being a mom.  God made each of them differently.  They have different challenges, different strengths.  They have found different pearls amidst the muck and mire.  I found the letters to be good reminders of many things I've learned and want to remember.  The letters themselves are pretty well written and easy to read.

Sometimes as moms we don't have time to get the encouragement that we crave and even need.  Having a book like this is a little like talking to a friend for two minutes or eating a piece of chocolate.  Think, savor, and then keep on going.  

I'm not sure that it will make the list of my favorite all time parenting books, but it is good.  And if it's the kind of book you're looking for--a book of short devotions on being a mom, then this would be a great book!

This book reminds me of the song, "Nobody's Got It All Together" by Jill Phillips...



Please note that I received a copy of this book for review from Revell Books for review.  

No comments: