Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Principles for Disciplining

I've been trying to get some reading done, so I'm making my way through Help for the Harried Homeschooler. One of the early chapters is about discipline and one of the last things she wrote in the chapter seems very wise to me. Here is the excerpt...

One of the Practical Pointers from Help for the Harried Homeschooler by Christine Field
Write out a list of principles to guide you in yoru discipline. Post it inside a kitchen or bathroom cabinet. Refer to it often. It might read something like this:
1. Effective discipline always comes from the heart.
2. It honors God; it is not for my convenience.
3. It is gentle rather than harsh.
4. It preserves my child's dignity.
5. It recognizes good behavior.
6. It inspires self-control and confidence.
7. It trains my child above all things to follow Christ.

I don't know if I'm going to post it inside my cupboard =) but I think I definitely want to write this list down and keep it in my Bible so I can pray that God will give me wisdom in how I discipline my kids.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Suzanne. Very encouraging words of wisdom.....a good litmus test for my heart and spirit.
~Kim S.

elleeyun said...

i love these principles! very timely, too (if you know what i mean).=)
thank you! i'm printing it out for my desk.

ellee

Anne said...

I'm glad they were encouraging =)