Friday, November 6, 2009

Crazy Love and Lukewarm Christians

The other day I was talking to a fellow from our small group about the book Crazy Love by Francis Chan. I have the second book he wrote called Forgotten God, but for some reason just haven't picked it up yet. I believe the premise of the book is a call by Chan urging Christians to realize what it really mean to love God wholeheartedly.

One of the strongest chapters, so I've been told and have read in reviews, is the fourth chapter about Lukewarm Christians. From what I've gathered, Chan asserts that the scripture in Revelation 3:16 "So, because you are lukewarm--neither hot nor cold--I am about to spit you out of my mouth." that there are no lukewarm Christians--such people are not saved.

The day after I had this conversation, I was reading Respectable Sins by Jerry Bridges and the chapter I was ready was about the respectable sin of ungodliness, which Bridges describes as "an ungodly attitude toward God." later, in the chapter in more detail-- "Ungodliness may be defined as living one's everyday life with little or no thought of God, or of God's will, or of God's glory, or of one's dependence on God." (p.54) It was interesting to me that I would read this chapter right after the discussion about Chan's book. The ideas seemed similar yet very different.

Last night, I took these thoughts to my husband and we had a great discussion. I asked him what he'd thought about Forgotten God, the book. I'd seen him pick it up several times. He said that he didn't feel he could really be a wise judge of its theology because he hasn't read it from cover to cover, but that he could tell the author says things differently than he would.

So, we started talking about the idea of Lukewarm Christians. I grew up in LA and spent the first 22 years of my life on the west coast, then spent 5 in the midwest/west, 4 in the south, and now 4 around the Mason Dixon Line. Christians are viewed differently in each place, culturally. In the south, everyone goes to church on Sunday--it's what you do whether or not you're a strong believer. But, BUT, in the West, you go to church if you're a follower of Christ. And if you're not, you don't. That's where Chan lives--specifically he lives and is a pastor in So. Cal. where I grew up. When we lived in the south, I started to see that there are a lot of "gray" Christians--everything isn't so black and white like it is on the West Coast. It's a funny thing about us as Americans, sometimes we think that if something is a certain way in one part of the country, then it must be that way all across the U.S. But, that's not true. There are so many regional differences in the U.S.

Aside from the cultural views of Christians, though there is another way to think about Chan's point, which my husband talked with me about. In Revelation, the churches are being reprimanded. But, they are not being discarded. Paul says that we are saved by grace not by works in Romans. So, if one was to assert that one could lose their salvation by being a lukewarm Christian, that would be toeing the line and asserting that someone could lose their salvation by backsliding or being "lukewarm". The Word does say that God will discipline those he loves. Being spit out would be pretty harsh to me, but wouldn't that be discipline? Weren't the churches being encouraged to get back on track--by hearing that the consequences of their behavior and actions were not desirable?

I do believe we are saved by grace, through faith, not of ourselves or anything we have done. God's grace is something I have never deserved, and I know it. I am thankful every day for it. And I am also thankful for the security of God's love that I can never do anything to lose God's love and that He will not abandon me.

Just a few thoughts. =) I am really enjoying Respectable Sins--wow! It is so challenging. What a blessing it is to read a great book that challenges my heart and mind!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I'm reading Crazy Love with an online book club right now. It's a pretty quick read. I find it very challenging and I agree with him on a lot of points. I'd love to know your thoughts if you ever have a chance to read it.