Tuesday, July 12, 2011

So many things on my mind...

Last week, we went on vacation so that is why I haven't posted on this blog since June!  It was a busy trip.  We worked a lot on my mother in law's home and I did a lot of painting.  I scraped, primed, and painted two window frames; scraped a garage door, primed and put 2 coats of paint on it; and primed and painted a mailbox and its post.  I also showed two of my brother in laws how to paint.  I realize that I haven't posted about how I paint on here before so here's a few things I told them...


Paint matters.  Buy good paint that won't run.  Otherwise you constantly have to make sure you aren't dragging paint with you from the can to the surface you're painting.  Thinner paints are more dangerous this way (especially Glidden!).  Behr from home depot has been the best for me.  I can get away with 1 coat at times (with touch up) while I have had to do 2 coats with Valspar, Olympic, and Glidden.


A 2" angled brush is my favorite.  It gives more coverage than smaller brushes, but you can still control it and do edges with it.


Brushes are more practical than rollers than when you have little kids and only have short periods (an hour or less) to paint at a time.  With a brush, you just wipe the extra paint on the can edge and then put it in a plastic bag in the fridge.  Wrap the plastic bag (grocery bag) around the brush tip so that there isn't air around it.  With a roller, you have to put the roller in a bag and then in the fridge.  Then, you have to brush the excess paint in the pan back into the can and then take care of the pan.  It's more work to clean up.


Prime first, then do 2 thin coats on top.  On the West Coast, you can get buy without mildew/mold resistant paint, but on the East Coast, I've found that I do everything in a Satin Mold/Mildew resistant paint (ie. Kitchen/Bath) because the humidity is higher and so are the problems with mold and mildew.  You don't have to use ceiling paint on a ceiling.  Use the mold/mildew resistant paint, but paint thin coats.  


Don't tint your white paint--if you don't, you can just go buy white paint and not worry about it matching the other white in the house.  It makes things simpler.


Paint the trim first, then the walls.  The other way around is much longer.  White is easier to cover up with color, but color is harder to cover up with white (it takes more coats).


Make sure you read the directions on the drying times.  I don't read directions often, but I do when it comes to paint!


So, those are my random thoughts about painting.  It was fun to see my brother in laws enjoy painting.  


The spray painting on the mail box was a new experience for me.  This is what I learned about that...


Start spraying before the area, move your hand over the area while spraying, and end after the end of it--this will make an even spray and prevent drips.


Hold a piece of cardboard behind or underneath the object to prevent the paint from getting on everything else.  I put plastic bags over the newpaper canisters that were mounted to the sides of the pole.  


Rustoleum makes a primer for lightly rusted objects and one for heavily rusted objects.  You spray it on right before putting the topcoat.  It was nice because I didn't have to wait for it to dry long!


So, that was part of my week!  I do love to paint--I love to feel like I've gotten something done when I see the space or object freshly painted!

No comments: