I am working on finding ways to find free homeschool resources on the web. So, I thought I would put together a states and capitals unit from the web instead of buying a book.
Here is what I came up with:
1) Learn the States and Postal Abbreviations unit from Joy A. Miller at Five J's
and tips for learning them
2) Numbered State worksheet and states and capitals worksheets. Scroll through to find the free ones. Many of them are for members only, but the essentials are free.
3) 3 Penelope Peabody lost in the United States. I'm going to only use the 3 free ones for fun.
4) State Capital Flash Cards. After reading what one homeschool mother said, I'm going to add on a few of the major cities in the United States that I want my children to know.
Here's a list of the states and the capitals:
Map of Major US Cities. Add which cities you'd like your children to learn.
5) State Capital Bingo from Super Teacher Worksheets
All of these pages are reproducible for your classroom. We are going to try doing Social Studies once a week this year, but while my daughter is learning her abbreviations and capitals we will review them more frequently through the week.