Saturday, October 4, 2008

Men and their Stereos

So, a fun little thing... My husband is very musical and really, truly enjoys music. Five years ago we bought our stereo, a component system. It's worked well, except that our remote broke and we never were able to fix it. We've now lived in this house for almost 3 years and periodically Chris talks about wanting a speaker system and receiver for our television. The funny part is that he hates the television, but he does enjoy watching movies sometimes. But, he struggles with the sound from our television, hence the desire for speakers. We've never bought anything for the tv because a speaker/receiver system would cost between $300 and $500.

The past two weeks we've been talking a lot about how much is enough and making the most of what we have rather than feeling like we have to buy something new if we have something we can alter to make it work. So, this week I cut and hemmed a set of sheets a friend had given me to make a sheet for Sami's toddler bed instead of paying $30 for a set of toddler sheets. I bought a $3 table for our fish tank and put new knobs on it ($8) instead of buying a fish tank stand ($150!). And we love it =) So, this idea has been coming up a lot for us. Today, I went garage saling and I bought a Sony receiver for $5 and a pair of JBL bookshelf speakers for $3. I didn't realize how old the receiver was at the time (10-15 years old). I knew I was taking a chance and I wasn't sure what Chris would think, but I brought them home.

A month ago, I know Chris would have been very skeptical about the receiver and speakers but his mind really has changed after our recent conversations (and I understand this because I know he values good tone quality so much). The huge blessing is that the receiver and speakers do work well! He is enjoying them! Yahoo! What a blessing they are. The speakers really do make a difference and now my husband can really enjoy the sound when we watch Indiana Jones when it comes out soon on DVD! And now I can too, because I haven't gotten to go to the movie theater with my husband in 4 years. I know it's just one of those things that happens when kids come along =) It sounds like such a silly little thing, but I really think that God knows how much Chris enjoys the music and sound from movies and provided this receiver and speakers so that we can enjoy them together =)

Thanks God!

No comments: