Wednesday, July 14, 2010

More Reason to Be Careful What We Watch...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/14/business/media/14indecent.html?_r=1

I opened up the Baltimore Sun this morning and read about how a court struck down the Bush era regulations about obscenity on television.  I wanted to post a link about this article from the New York Times just to spread the word.  The hardest part that I see with this is that I will feel even less comfortable letting my children watch anything on live television--if there aren't any limits.  It saddens me that in our society, we are so me focused that we have pursued this freedom to spew obscenities on public television.

I am reminded about God and his authority in our lives.  I think a lot of people don't want to believe in God because they don't want to have to submit to his authority.  They don't want anyone to tell them what to do.  The thing is--God knows what's best for that.  Perhaps it's pride that makes us as humans think we can figure everything out.  The reality is that we can't.  And we don't know what's always best for us--in the same way that our children think they know what is best (though we all know they don't).  Our children have a lot to learn and so do we as we grow up.  I am thankful for God's boundaries in my life and for his authority.  I am thankful I'm not caught in the trap thinking that I should have the right to say whatever I want to whenever I want to.  It's really a harmful lie.

I grieve for our children and what they will hear on the television--and for what we will hear as well if we turn it on.

No comments: