Skip to main content

Thankful for Homeschooling Curriculum

It's such a good feeling when I find I've ordered something for homeschooling that is just what I was looking for!

I've pretty much done my planning for the year, but there are a few minor things I keep pondering.  One has been writing.  Last year, I had thought about getting EPS set of books Write about Me and Write about My World.  Then last week when I was ordering the last of our Explode The Code books from CBD, I looked at the set again and at their Just Write series.  I used Well Trained Mind's Writing With Ease series last year.  I liked it, but I always felt that Autumn would love the chance to do some constructive creative writing.  We did a little, but not as much as I would like.

So, I read the reviews for Write about Me and it sounded just right for Autumn to give her a chance to be creative in her writing this year.  Writing With Ease is a 4 day a week curriculum, so we'll use this on the fifth day.  The first book lets her begin by filling in sentences about herself and then pages to draw a picture on and then write about (with a given question).  I think it will actually work better for her this year than last because the lines to write on aren't that big.

But, just before the package arrived today, I had another thought about curriculum.  It was this--there are so many great choices and fun things to add to curriculum.  I need to stop looking when I have what I need.  If I discover a hole, then I think it's okay to look for filling for that hole, but otherwise, I think it's good to try and not browse too much =)

Anyways, these are just my random thoughts for the moment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grieved

Why is it that my generation (I belong to Gen X) and generations after us always seem to think that they know more than the generations that have come before us? Why is there such a lack of respect in our generation for our elders? Why do we think that the liturgy of the church and hymns are irrelevant? It is ironic to me that the emergent movement is saying that the seeker sensitive movement is irrelevant. It seems as if it was only a few years ago when it was the seeker sensitive movement that said to the traditional church that it (the traditional church) was irrelevant. I'm reading a book with all of these big words and I want to be honest--I didn't understand a lot of it. I'm not dumb. I understood most of it, but the author was assuming a lot of background knowledge on the part of the reader. Most of the time I learn deep theological concepts and then I have to store them in my "attic" (as Autumn would say) because there isn't enough room in the ...

Missing Pieces

The other day I was discussing a book with my mom and explaining to her my concern about how "blame" is cast upon the child in the story.  My mom commented about how deeply I read and consider what is written. Sometimes I wonder if I go overboard.  Am I questioning too much?  Am I overreacting? Why am I reacting this way? I come back to knowing that God wired me this way.  But, I also reflect on how God has guided my path through the maze of books I've read over the past few years and what I've learned from the books themselves and from reading them.   Recently, I read a book that troubled me.  The book I finished reading was  Guiltless Living  by Ginger Hubbard.  When I began reading it, I found myself puzzled and then disconcerted. And in the end, I cried. But, I cried for a different reason than one might suspect. I'd like to explain. I did not read Ms. Hubbard's previous book “ Don't Make Me Count to Three ”, but I knew from f...

ESV, NIV, or NASB and then there's the ICB, ESV or NIrV...which should we read?

I am so thankful for my friend's question about the ESV vs. NASB and NIV. I couldn't remember the difference so I went to look it up. I knew that John Piper and Tim Keller, both pastors and authors that I deeply respect have switched over to the ESV. All of the churches that we have attended over the past few years PCA or Reformed Baptist have also switched to the ESV. I did find a blog that explained the differences and that helped me ( http://thefoolishgalatian.wordpress.com/2007/10/22/niv-vs-esv-and-why-piper-switched/ ) I knew why I didn't like the KJV--it was written in the days when writers were paid by a patron and that often slanted the translation. The NKJV, from what I understand, is a revision of the KJV that uses more modern language. Most churches I have attended used the NIV until the ESV came out. The blog I found explained that the ESV is a more literal translation---like the NASB. The NASB is a very literal translation. The ESV has come to be consid...