Saturday, September 28, 2013

Good Fiction

I've been in the car lately and that means that I've been doing a lot of reading.  I finished up another book on my Kindle last night.  I had looked forward to this book because of a book I'd read in the past--June Bug.  It was Chris Fabry's first published book and I enjoyed it.  I didn't enjoy the next two books that he published quite as much as the first, but I still saw him as a good writer--worth reading.

A new book by Fabry came out in August--Every Waking Moment.  It isn't a romance or historical fiction
novel.  It's plain, old realistic fiction. There's a touch of the supernatural to it, but I'd still call it realistic fiction. The story centers on Treha and her gift with older folks beset by dementia and alzheimers.  I found myself drawn into the story as it began and slowly meandered along its way.  At the beginning of the story, Miriam Howard is being forced to retire.  Ms. Howard has been a protector of the elderly in her care at the retirement home and of Treha.  She has allowed her to use her gift to benefit the residents of the center.  But, with Ms. Howard's retirement comes deleterious changes that affect all at the center, including Treha.  

The story was an unexpected one for me.  It was enjoyable and well written.  I'd definitely recommend this one if you enjoy Angela Hunt's novels or Lisa Samson's!

And if you haven't read June Bug, I'd recommend it!

Please note that I received an ebook copy of this book for review from Tyndale Publishing.

No comments: