Saturday, September 28, 2013

Read With Caution or Avoid Altogether?

I hate delete!  I just had to get that off my chest.  I just spent a half hour sorting out my emotions and then my finger accidentally hit the delete button.  Crummy!  

So, here's the jist of it.  

I read Becoming Myself by Stasi Eldredge.  I thought I could read it and it would not affect me.  

I was wrong.

A week and a half later, I was struggling to find contentment in the place God has put me in my job--as a mom, homeschool teacher, and wife.  The tears hovered behind my eyes continuously.  

I was wrong.  I knew that what Ms. Eldgredge's book went against what I have felt God convict me of--that I need to be content with his plan for my life and not my own.  Still, my heart was unsettled.

Many believe that you can read books you disagree with and they won't affect you if you know the truth and are strong.

I thought I was strong.

I was wrong.  

I'm climbing back up, humbly.  I'm working to forget the ideas that had unsettled me.  I'm trying to focus on God and my family and not myself.

In a much shorter nutshell than my original post, that's it.  That's what I've been thinking about.  
I'm not as strong as I thought I was.  

1 comment:

Kim said...

Oh, my friend. I am so sorry you are struggling with this. You are always in my prayers.