Sunday, April 19, 2009

garage saling and another fun game =)

Yay! Garage saling season has returned! I have several observations about it, though.
1) People are a lot more greedy this year. I kept hearing over and over--I sold this or that on ebay. I asked one gal about how she ended up with so many brand new Melissa and Doug toys. She said she scouts for them and then sells them on ebay. I shared with her that they have the same or better prices that she had marked them (at her garage sale) at Amazon. True (!). I've noticed that as a culture it's easy to get caught up in the worth of what we have rather than thinking about sharing or giving. Just a thought. My husband and I try to always give away or donate so that we don't get caught in that spiral of holding on too tightly to our possession. We can see that temptation for ourselves and it feels so much better just to give things to people that need them. We're not perfect. And I'll be honest. I'm going to consign a few things in the fall because I can't find anyone that wants them! It has been a great struggle for me, because I see the Lord's provision every day in the hand me downs I've been given and what I've purchased from garage sales. But, I haven't found anyone who needs them and would value them.
2) People thought their things were worth a lot more--sometimes more than you'd pay at a consignment store! I'm very picky about the condition of things because they've got to hold up.
3) Still, I found just as many people who were willing to barter and I am thankful for that.

Find of the day: A brand new 12" disco ball my friend bought for her husband who likes to dj disco music

But, for all that, I came home thankful for what I'd bought and the treats and new game I brought home for my daughters (which they love!) =)

The game I brought home that my girls love is called Zingo! It is fun and a great early reading game. It has pictures and words on the cards so both Sami and Autumn can play together. One of the great things is that instead of reaching for the bingo cards for their cards, they call for them--this prevents much fighting over the same card =) I do highly recommend this game--and if you have a little boy who loves superheroes, they actually make a version with superheroes on the cards.

No comments: