Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Math

Ugh! I can't figure out what to use for Math next year. I used Singapore Earlybird Math, but I only bought the textbooks and at first I loved it. I love the pictures and the easy activities at the bottom of each page. But, when the book started to teach Addition and Subtraction, it really didn't click with me. It's too fast and it doesn't make sense to me. I am using a book called Developing Number Concepts: Addition and Subtraction by Kathy Richardson for that instead. I love this!! The activities are games that Autumn wants to play and she's really starting to understand the concepts of addition and subtraction.

But, now I don't know what to do next year!! Really, Autumn will be doing K/1. She will be the age of a K, but doing K and 1st grade work depending on the subject. Her reading level is probably mid first grade right now.

I'm pondering using Horizons, but I would plan on going back through the K curriculum and then the 1st grade curriculum. It's $50 for K on sale and $62 for 1st on sale until April 30th at CBD. I've looked at Abeka, but I'm not sure if that's the right fit either. I haven't found anything else that will be challenging. I've heard Rod and Staff is slower and I've looked at others, but I'm just puzzled. I don't feel like I've found the right answer!

Any suggestions/insights? If you're homeschooling, what are you using and what do you like about it? I'd love to hear!

5 comments:

becky.onelittle said...

I'm using Math U See. I find that I love the format, the explanations, and the blocks, but I need to add more drill. I've used Rod and Staff, but Micaela wasn't learning the concept of addition. Rather she was counting. I don't like saxon or abeka- it's too much, too many problems, too much repitition, and boring for me (of course i used abeka in school and hate it for my own reasons ;). I know of one other that makes me think of you. Someone else showed it to me about two years ago, and even then I thought of you. It's called Professor B's or something like that. Maybe Bee's. He's a bee :) It's straightforward, simple, and definitely cheap!

Tiffany said...

Hey, Suzanne! We use Saxon Math.

Anne said...

Thanks for the ideas and input. I looked up Professor B's, but I need something really straightforward. I always thought that when I homeschooled I would have more time for prep than I did when I taught. But, no!!! I have tons less. So, I have to get something really straight forward. I think I'm going to start with Horizons Math and supplement with the Developing Number Concepts lessons that I've been using. I looked at it again today and I think I finally have peace about it =)

Becky--why didn't you like Abeka? I'd love to hear why. =)

becky.onelittle said...

Mostly because the years that I used it I was mostly neglected and left to my own devices in school. There were only two of us in our grade and everyone else was 2 or more years below us. The teacher taught the younger students as a group, and the other kid in my grade and I were given a book and told to finish it before the end of a year. We self taught Abeka- not just math- and did every problem on every page because we were expected to. The book was the right grade for my age, but was below my functioning level. So I could do it and fairly easily, but it was BORING and LONG and I HATED it, so I promised myself I'd never used Abeka with my kids ;) I tutored with Saxon (geometry and algebra)and I like it ok, but I just don't like the spiral approach. I'd rather do the shorter lessons, teach concepts and add drill if necessary- as obviously I'm doing :) On a side note, I bought a game from Muggins Math that we're loving. It's called Jelly Beans and the board flips over to play Knock-Out. The kids from Asher (2) to Micaela (nearly 7) are LOVING it. And it's helping us count, add and subtract much more quickly- which is the point.

Anne said...

Thanks for telling me about the game! I've been puzzling about the spiral vs. mastery approach. Singapore is the mastery approach, but I didn't like how quickly they expected kids in K to master addition. =( I just ordered Horizons Math from Alpha Omega and they have a 30 day money back guarantee. So, I can try it and if I dont' like it, I can return it =)