Sunday, June 27, 2010

Mercy Watson

I'm always looking for good early chapter books and read alouds for the girls.  Last year, we read the first of Kate DiCamillo's Mercy Watson series about a a pig named Mercy.  The girls enjoyed it.  I had forgotten to look for more in the series.  On Saturday we were at the library and I found an audio recording of two of the books in the series so I checked it out.

Friday night we all ended up sitting down on the couches and the chairs and listening to the story.  We all laughed and the girls were drawn in.  They loved it and it was nice family time.  Eli was in his room, though, looking at a book saying "wa wa wa" like the Peanuts teacher as if he was reading.  But, he was happy doing what he was doing.

I did get the second book for Autumn to read on her own and she has now decided that she prefers to read silently.  It's hard for me to believe she's already doing this!  So, I check her comprehension to make sure she really read the book since she tends to like to look at pictures more than words =)  But, indeed she did sit down and read through the book in about 15-20 minutes.  She knew everything that had happened.  Good for her!

I'm going to try and find some more audiobooks that we can enjoy as a family and that the girls would like to listen to.  Any suggestions for this age?

No comments: