Friday, June 25, 2010

Thankful for a lesson I learned a long time ago

When I first got married, my husband was in the Army.  I remember several pieces of advice that veteran Army wives shared with me.  One was to always go with your husband if you could go--even if it was only for a few months.  Make the sacrifice.  Go.  It may not be what you want, but it's the best thing for your marriage and it gives Satan the less opportunities to come between you two.

Another piece of advice really came in the form of the examples I saw.  I heard from my husband about wives who complained about their husbands' jobs and the hours and I saw it in person.  I also heard about wives who didn't complain and supported their husbands and saw examples of this.  My husband spoke to me several times about how much a wife's disposition towards the Army could affect a husband's attitude about his job.  He would mention it the course of a conversation about how bad morale was at times.  I took from that the lesson that I would strive not to complain about the demands of my husband's job.

A few weeks ago on Memorial Day, my husband had to work.  The 24 year old son in law of my host quizzed me asking if he really had to work.  He was skeptical.  I told him that indeed he did have to work that it wasn't optional, but that I'm thankful for his job.

Just a few minutes ago, my husband told me he has to work tomorrow.  I said okay.  I told him that was fine.  And the good thing is that my heart really is okay with it.  I am truly thankful that he has a job and I want to support him in the work that the Lord has set before him to do.

In the Army, there's a myth that people think it's easier on the outside--that the demands are less.  But, the reality is---that myth is just a myth.  My husband works just as long and just as many hours in many ways.  The grass always seems greener on the other side, doesn't it?

No comments: