Monday, September 27, 2010

Movies Worth Watching

I have often been disappointed in movies that I have seen, but as is often the case--the bad makes you appreciate the good all the more.  My husband and I have been talking a lot lately about what movies we'd like to show our kids next.  We are having to admit to ourselves that they are growing up and won't be content with Curious George forever.

This week I watched a new movie coming out by Lionsgate, The Least Among You.  It is inspired by a true story.  Inspired can mean many things, but at the very least it has given the producers of the movie the idea for the movie's story.  I tried to research what the truth is of this movie to no avail, so I'm not sure how factual it is.

My plain and simple view of this movie is that it's good--actually, it's very good.  The acting and script hold your attention from the beginning.  It never feels too slow or too fast.  There are several recognizable actors in it including Louis Gossett, Jr., William Devane and Lauren Holly.  This is a movie you can feel good about watching with your high schoolers.  Because of the story theme and content, I wouldn't recommend it for children under 11 or 12 years old.

The story of this movie is of a young black man who gets caught in the wrong place at the wrong time during the Watts Riots of 1965.  As probation, he goes to an all-white seminary.  The movie centers on his struggles for acceptance and what he does in those struggles.  His journey to faith in God is very interesting and well handled. He comes to faith amidst the hypocrisy of others around him as they claim to be Christians.  This struggle is one we all live with and I think struggle with in this age of cynicism.

Then this morning I watched a sweet movie while I was catching up on email and such--I realize I foster a sense of distraction in my own life by doing it, but it is one of the few ways I can watch movies these days and I love a good story.  The movie I watched this morning was called An Old Fashioned Thanksgiving.  It is a sweet retelling of  Louisa May Alcott short story.  It would be appropriate to show your kids when you're comfortable showing them Little Women or Little House on the Prairie.  It is a sweet and innocent movie that I look forward to watching with my girls.

Please note that I was given a complimentary copy of The Least Among You by Thomas Nelson Publishing for review.

No comments: