Friday, October 15, 2010

God's Working on Me...

I started Becoming a Woman of Purpose this week (my own purchase) and I came across this quote this morning that I just wanted to share in hopes that it might encourage others the way it did me...

from p. 24

"...I'm not a real baby person!  I think that God looked at me and said, "If I am ever going to begin to get any fruit of the Spirit into this woman, she needs to have all these children at once!" What better way for me to learn patience, self-control, gentleness, kindness, love, joy, faithfulness, and goodness.  (Notice I didn't mention peace.)  It was in the midst of these child-raising years that I realized my great need to fully surrender my life to God and allow Him to begin to transform my life according to His plan.
     This is what God is after--as our Father, He wants us to have a strong family resemblance to Him.  He uses all sorts of ways to mold us and to bring us to dependence upon Him.  For some, this sanctifying process may involve not having children, not being married.  For others it is marriage, children, parents, and jobs that God will use to conform us to the image of Christ."

I love Cynthia Heald's honesty in her studies.  I thought this quote encapsulated sanctification and what it means. Later she says...  "In the process of sanctification, the Spirit of God will strip me down until there is nothing left but myslef, and that is the place of death...Am I willing and determined to hand over my simple naked self to God?" p. 24

As I honestly answered the question afterwards, I realize that I have been turning to the world--whether it be the computer or video to avoid the emptiness that I feel when I am absolutely worn out from caring for my family and those around me.  And yet, this is exactly where God wants me.  Stripped down and empty.  All I have left is Him.

No comments: