Yesterday, I went to a homeschool book store and I found a great little book. It is titled Prayer: Learning to Talk to God. It is by Jeanette L. Groth and illustrated by Jan Brett. It is a great book! It is perfect for explaining and discussing prayer with 4 and 5 year olds. The wording of the book is simple and Biblical. The author talks about each of the different things we talk to God about: Praise, Needs/Wants, Other People, Guidance, etc. For each explanation, there is an excellent illustration of a situation showing a child who would want/need to talk to God about that thing. Let me explain... On the page addressing Praise, there is a young girl standing at the beach looking up at the sky with a smile on her face. On the page explaining that we pray for Guidance, there is a young girl taking care of her garden (her chores, I assume) who is being asked by friends to go fishing. The illustrations are great for starting discussions with our children. I love this little book and I just wanted to let you know about it. I had never heard of it--I just happened to find it on the shelf amidst a bunch of other books =)
Why is it that my generation (I belong to Gen X) and generations after us always seem to think that they know more than the generations that have come before us? Why is there such a lack of respect in our generation for our elders? Why do we think that the liturgy of the church and hymns are irrelevant? It is ironic to me that the emergent movement is saying that the seeker sensitive movement is irrelevant. It seems as if it was only a few years ago when it was the seeker sensitive movement that said to the traditional church that it (the traditional church) was irrelevant. I'm reading a book with all of these big words and I want to be honest--I didn't understand a lot of it. I'm not dumb. I understood most of it, but the author was assuming a lot of background knowledge on the part of the reader. Most of the time I learn deep theological concepts and then I have to store them in my "attic" (as Autumn would say) because there isn't enough room in the ...
Comments