Skip to main content

My computer broke

Sometimes there is great wisdom in sticking to what you know rather than venturing out and trying something new. Such is the case of what happened to my new laptop that we had bought at the end of July. It had worked just fine until I decided to try a new antivirus program because it was free via the Amazon program I'm a part of. It was called Bitdefender. I had problems with it from the beginning. I'm used to Norton and have used it for 8 years. I've always stuck with it--I shouldn't have changed. Because of the problems with Bitdefender, I thought I would try McAffee when I had the chance to try it for free. Bad, bad choice. In the process, it broke my computer.

It turns out that you have to completely uninstall any antivirus program before you install a new one and there's tricks with Norton and the others that only well trained computer folks know about. Ugh! If you don't completely uninstall them, the new program see the old program often as a virus itself--foreign to the computer and can lock it up. That's what happened to me. My screen went black--it didn't even just lock up. It went black! I will never do that again. I spent an hour and a half on the phone with HP and afterwards I just didn't trust the computer anymore. I am going to stick with Norton, pay for it, and forgo the pain of breaking and returning a computer again!

In the end, free isn't always the best deal! =)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grieved

Why is it that my generation (I belong to Gen X) and generations after us always seem to think that they know more than the generations that have come before us? Why is there such a lack of respect in our generation for our elders? Why do we think that the liturgy of the church and hymns are irrelevant? It is ironic to me that the emergent movement is saying that the seeker sensitive movement is irrelevant. It seems as if it was only a few years ago when it was the seeker sensitive movement that said to the traditional church that it (the traditional church) was irrelevant. I'm reading a book with all of these big words and I want to be honest--I didn't understand a lot of it. I'm not dumb. I understood most of it, but the author was assuming a lot of background knowledge on the part of the reader. Most of the time I learn deep theological concepts and then I have to store them in my "attic" (as Autumn would say) because there isn't enough room in the ...

Missing Pieces

The other day I was discussing a book with my mom and explaining to her my concern about how "blame" is cast upon the child in the story.  My mom commented about how deeply I read and consider what is written. Sometimes I wonder if I go overboard.  Am I questioning too much?  Am I overreacting? Why am I reacting this way? I come back to knowing that God wired me this way.  But, I also reflect on how God has guided my path through the maze of books I've read over the past few years and what I've learned from the books themselves and from reading them.   Recently, I read a book that troubled me.  The book I finished reading was  Guiltless Living  by Ginger Hubbard.  When I began reading it, I found myself puzzled and then disconcerted. And in the end, I cried. But, I cried for a different reason than one might suspect. I'd like to explain. I did not read Ms. Hubbard's previous book “ Don't Make Me Count to Three ”, but I knew from f...

ESV, NIV, or NASB and then there's the ICB, ESV or NIrV...which should we read?

I am so thankful for my friend's question about the ESV vs. NASB and NIV. I couldn't remember the difference so I went to look it up. I knew that John Piper and Tim Keller, both pastors and authors that I deeply respect have switched over to the ESV. All of the churches that we have attended over the past few years PCA or Reformed Baptist have also switched to the ESV. I did find a blog that explained the differences and that helped me ( http://thefoolishgalatian.wordpress.com/2007/10/22/niv-vs-esv-and-why-piper-switched/ ) I knew why I didn't like the KJV--it was written in the days when writers were paid by a patron and that often slanted the translation. The NKJV, from what I understand, is a revision of the KJV that uses more modern language. Most churches I have attended used the NIV until the ESV came out. The blog I found explained that the ESV is a more literal translation---like the NASB. The NASB is a very literal translation. The ESV has come to be consid...