Skip to main content

Free Middle School Science Materials Online!

I am beginning to search for what my oldest daughter is going to do next year for science.  Through elementary school, she has completed 4 years of Harcourt's Science, 1 year of Considering God's Creation, and Singapore's Early Bird Science in Kindergarten.  Heading into middle school is tough for me in this area. I want a curriculum that is going to teach her more.  I've also learned that she needs a text in front of her.  I loved Christian Kids Explore Science, but my kids did not!  They struggled to follow what I was saying without a text and without being familiar with the spelling of the long words I was saying outloud.  So, where do I go?  I've looked at Apologia before and though I know lots of homeschool folks love it, the formatting of the books I've looked at in the past is very hard for me to focus on and digest.  I'm very visual, so font and formatting are key for me.

So, I'm starting with taking a look at Common Sense Press' science (Great Science Adventures) again this week and looking at some free resources I found online.

Then, I found this free course for general science inquiry:
http://www.inquiryinaction.org/download/
Cathy Duffy wrote a review of it and that was I found it on her site:  http://cathyduffyreviews.com/science/inquiry-in-action.htm

From that site, I found this free Chemistry course for middle school:
http://www.middleschoolchemistry.com/lessonplans/

And the third that I'm going to be taking a look at is NOEO Science.
http://logospressonline.com/noeo

I need to dig in a little more.  I'm leaning towards the free or the Noeo....


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grieved

Why is it that my generation (I belong to Gen X) and generations after us always seem to think that they know more than the generations that have come before us? Why is there such a lack of respect in our generation for our elders? Why do we think that the liturgy of the church and hymns are irrelevant? It is ironic to me that the emergent movement is saying that the seeker sensitive movement is irrelevant. It seems as if it was only a few years ago when it was the seeker sensitive movement that said to the traditional church that it (the traditional church) was irrelevant. I'm reading a book with all of these big words and I want to be honest--I didn't understand a lot of it. I'm not dumb. I understood most of it, but the author was assuming a lot of background knowledge on the part of the reader. Most of the time I learn deep theological concepts and then I have to store them in my "attic" (as Autumn would say) because there isn't enough room in the ...

Missing Pieces

The other day I was discussing a book with my mom and explaining to her my concern about how "blame" is cast upon the child in the story.  My mom commented about how deeply I read and consider what is written. Sometimes I wonder if I go overboard.  Am I questioning too much?  Am I overreacting? Why am I reacting this way? I come back to knowing that God wired me this way.  But, I also reflect on how God has guided my path through the maze of books I've read over the past few years and what I've learned from the books themselves and from reading them.   Recently, I read a book that troubled me.  The book I finished reading was  Guiltless Living  by Ginger Hubbard.  When I began reading it, I found myself puzzled and then disconcerted. And in the end, I cried. But, I cried for a different reason than one might suspect. I'd like to explain. I did not read Ms. Hubbard's previous book “ Don't Make Me Count to Three ”, but I knew from f...

ESV, NIV, or NASB and then there's the ICB, ESV or NIrV...which should we read?

I am so thankful for my friend's question about the ESV vs. NASB and NIV. I couldn't remember the difference so I went to look it up. I knew that John Piper and Tim Keller, both pastors and authors that I deeply respect have switched over to the ESV. All of the churches that we have attended over the past few years PCA or Reformed Baptist have also switched to the ESV. I did find a blog that explained the differences and that helped me ( http://thefoolishgalatian.wordpress.com/2007/10/22/niv-vs-esv-and-why-piper-switched/ ) I knew why I didn't like the KJV--it was written in the days when writers were paid by a patron and that often slanted the translation. The NKJV, from what I understand, is a revision of the KJV that uses more modern language. Most churches I have attended used the NIV until the ESV came out. The blog I found explained that the ESV is a more literal translation---like the NASB. The NASB is a very literal translation. The ESV has come to be consid...