Skip to main content

Social Studies for 6th grade... on and on we go...

I'm working on my daughter's social studies for this year.  I've found several resources on the way.  I often ask myself, "Why am I doing this?  Why am I not buying a premade curriculum?"  I've read several books about homeschooling on a shoestring and lots of blog posts about it and realize that the money you save by not buying books, you spend in time.  So, there has to be some other reason...

I've come to the conclusion that I enjoy the search.  I enjoy thinking through a topic and getting on top of it before my children study it.  I enjoy developing a big picture of the topic.

Last year, Autumn studied the 1700s of American History.  This year, my goal is to cover the 1800s and 1900s.  So far, I have compiled up to 1850 and am working on the Civil War.  Here's a list of free resources I've found that I've liked.  I'm using a very brief book titled Kids' Guide to American History to give my daughter a brief (very brief) idea of the outline of American History and then we're going to dig into more specific events.

Oregon Trail Unit
http://www.blm.gov/or/oregontrail/files/TBKS_opt.pdf
Oregon Trail Game
http://dynamic2moms.webs.com/West%20Ward%20Ho%20Page/Oregon%20Trail_game.pdf

Civil War Unit
http://www.civilwar.org/education/teachers/curriculum/
I'm using pages from the middle school curriculum.  I don't have Microsoft Office anymore so I can't view the powerpoint presentations, but I still found some great activities and worksheets to use.
These are the pages I printed from the middle school curriculum:
9-18,23-26,46-48,52-55,57,62-68,71-77,96-88,90,92,94-97,102-111,113-115,121-130,136-145,147-151,165-169,171-178
from the elementary curriculum: 22-23,96-98

Additional Civil War Resources I'm using:
Slang of the Civil War: http://www.citrus.k12.fl.us/staffdev/social%20studies/PDF/Slang%20of%20the%20American%20Civil%20War.pdf
People: http://mrnussbaum.com/civil-war/people

For Reconstruction and Industrial Revolution, I'm using a book titled Everyday Life: Reconstruction to 1900 by Walter Hazen.
Plus:
Bio of Jane Addams: http://www.scholastic.com/browse/article.jsp?id=4948
I'm asking my daughter to write an outline and one paragraph summary including birthdate/death, significant life events and significant achievements of Jane Addams.


Women's Rights Unit:
I like this unit because it uses primary sources.
http://www.humanities.uci.edu/history/ucihp/resources/11th%20grade%20for%20website/11.5%20and%2011.10%20HOT%20Equal_Rights.pdf
Printed Letter from Phyllis Shafly: http://www.eagleforum.org/era/pdf/ERA-Letter.pdf
Pro-ERA Points:
http://www.equalrightsamendment.org/misc/why_ERA_needed.pdf
To end this unit, I am going to ask my daughter to write her own persuasive paper either pro or con-the ERA.

World War I
http://www.easyfunschool.com has a list of activities for WWI.

The Great Depression
http://www.easyfunschool.com/article1984.html
http://www.instructorweb.com/docs/pdf/greatdeplesson.pdf

World War II
http://www.easyfunschool.com/article1855.html
http://allinonehomeschool.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/world-war-two-worksheets.pdf
Great Readings on World War II!: http://www.ducksters.com/history/world_war_ii/

Civil Rights
www.ducksters.com has some great readings.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4xMsNe4G32CZmt6eFlTQzZYZU0/edit
Civil Rights Unit from the Homeschool Den.  There are several different and great packets on this site for elementary age.

John F Kennedy
http://gardenofpraise.com/pdf/textb44.pdf

Cold War
Types of Government: http://mms.springbranchisd.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=rVj9HkM6QjM=
Good selection of readings on www.ducksters.com

20th Century Summaries
http://www.eduplace.com/ss/socsci/md/books/bke2/ilessons/index.html   I like these because they use key terms in short and easy to read summaries. They covered a lot of topics I wanted to address, but couldn't find printable readings on the web for.

Some Useful Maps
http://www.macmillanhighered.com/Catalog/static/bsm/mapcentral/om/om.html

Great Timeline Worksheets
Scholastic has one online, but I like the ones on this page better: http://timvandevall.com/printable-history-timeline-worksheets-for-classrooms-social-studies/

Great Timeline Site
http://www.animatedatlas.com/timeline.html

Stamp Activity
http://www.postalmuseum.si.edu/educators/Design_It_Full_Curriculum.pdf
I printed pages 8 and 32 and some of the information from the first few pages to explain why we use stamps.  Then, I looked up and printed page 1 from here: http://www.mrbrandl.com/downloads/stampsubjects.pdf
I am going to ask my daughter to circle which of the twelve guidelines she thinks she should follow in completing this assignment and then discuss it with me prior to designing a stamp for each decade from 1800-Present (the period she's going to be studying this year).  There's a lot of information on the art of design in this packet and it would be a great cross-curriculum art lesson from the postal museum!
I used this worksheet: http://www.bellesprintables.com/FreeTemplates/PostageStampTemplate_Belle.jpg, cut out two of the strips, made a new copy of this page on my printer, and then wrote the number above for each decade from our history we're covering.

Assessment Ideas
http://www.eduplace.com/activity/  In putting together my materials, I found myself at a loss for some fun assessments and activities.  The lessons on this page gave me some great ideas that I could modify.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grieved

Why is it that my generation (I belong to Gen X) and generations after us always seem to think that they know more than the generations that have come before us? Why is there such a lack of respect in our generation for our elders? Why do we think that the liturgy of the church and hymns are irrelevant? It is ironic to me that the emergent movement is saying that the seeker sensitive movement is irrelevant. It seems as if it was only a few years ago when it was the seeker sensitive movement that said to the traditional church that it (the traditional church) was irrelevant. I'm reading a book with all of these big words and I want to be honest--I didn't understand a lot of it. I'm not dumb. I understood most of it, but the author was assuming a lot of background knowledge on the part of the reader. Most of the time I learn deep theological concepts and then I have to store them in my "attic" (as Autumn would say) because there isn't enough room in the ...

Missing Pieces

The other day I was discussing a book with my mom and explaining to her my concern about how "blame" is cast upon the child in the story.  My mom commented about how deeply I read and consider what is written. Sometimes I wonder if I go overboard.  Am I questioning too much?  Am I overreacting? Why am I reacting this way? I come back to knowing that God wired me this way.  But, I also reflect on how God has guided my path through the maze of books I've read over the past few years and what I've learned from the books themselves and from reading them.   Recently, I read a book that troubled me.  The book I finished reading was  Guiltless Living  by Ginger Hubbard.  When I began reading it, I found myself puzzled and then disconcerted. And in the end, I cried. But, I cried for a different reason than one might suspect. I'd like to explain. I did not read Ms. Hubbard's previous book “ Don't Make Me Count to Three ”, but I knew from f...

ESV, NIV, or NASB and then there's the ICB, ESV or NIrV...which should we read?

I am so thankful for my friend's question about the ESV vs. NASB and NIV. I couldn't remember the difference so I went to look it up. I knew that John Piper and Tim Keller, both pastors and authors that I deeply respect have switched over to the ESV. All of the churches that we have attended over the past few years PCA or Reformed Baptist have also switched to the ESV. I did find a blog that explained the differences and that helped me ( http://thefoolishgalatian.wordpress.com/2007/10/22/niv-vs-esv-and-why-piper-switched/ ) I knew why I didn't like the KJV--it was written in the days when writers were paid by a patron and that often slanted the translation. The NKJV, from what I understand, is a revision of the KJV that uses more modern language. Most churches I have attended used the NIV until the ESV came out. The blog I found explained that the ESV is a more literal translation---like the NASB. The NASB is a very literal translation. The ESV has come to be consid...