Skip to main content

FishFlix

Watching movies and tv has changed drastically in the last few years.  I grew up watching public television--the main networks.  We never had cable.  It wasn't even on my radar as a kid.  Cable was an extra expense.  But, then public television went away.  ABC, NBC, CBS... they've all privatized their services for folks wanting to watch via the internet.  Yes, you can still watch some things, but not as much as you used to be able to.  The lone network I can still watch for free that I watched as a kids is PBS.  I am thankful that I can Masterpiece Theater online and other shows.

Many families have digital cable today via their internet provider or DishTv.  The other substitutes are subscription services and the outright purchasing of movies on DVD or via iTunes and Amazon. It's strange to realize how much the world of entertainment has changed in the last five years alone.

One of the companies selling movies online is FishFlix.com.  Their focus is on selling "Christian Movies to Inspire and Entertain".  I'm always looking for ideas of movies that I'm comfortable watching with my kids.  I enjoy watching things with them!  This might be a site to check out if you're interested.

If you join their email list, you do get a $5 coupon by joining here:  www.fishflix.com/5gift or you can text 5-GIFT to 44222.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grieved

Why is it that my generation (I belong to Gen X) and generations after us always seem to think that they know more than the generations that have come before us? Why is there such a lack of respect in our generation for our elders? Why do we think that the liturgy of the church and hymns are irrelevant? It is ironic to me that the emergent movement is saying that the seeker sensitive movement is irrelevant. It seems as if it was only a few years ago when it was the seeker sensitive movement that said to the traditional church that it (the traditional church) was irrelevant. I'm reading a book with all of these big words and I want to be honest--I didn't understand a lot of it. I'm not dumb. I understood most of it, but the author was assuming a lot of background knowledge on the part of the reader. Most of the time I learn deep theological concepts and then I have to store them in my "attic" (as Autumn would say) because there isn't enough room in the ...

Missing Pieces

The other day I was discussing a book with my mom and explaining to her my concern about how "blame" is cast upon the child in the story.  My mom commented about how deeply I read and consider what is written. Sometimes I wonder if I go overboard.  Am I questioning too much?  Am I overreacting? Why am I reacting this way? I come back to knowing that God wired me this way.  But, I also reflect on how God has guided my path through the maze of books I've read over the past few years and what I've learned from the books themselves and from reading them.   Recently, I read a book that troubled me.  The book I finished reading was  Guiltless Living  by Ginger Hubbard.  When I began reading it, I found myself puzzled and then disconcerted. And in the end, I cried. But, I cried for a different reason than one might suspect. I'd like to explain. I did not read Ms. Hubbard's previous book “ Don't Make Me Count to Three ”, but I knew from f...

ESV, NIV, or NASB and then there's the ICB, ESV or NIrV...which should we read?

I am so thankful for my friend's question about the ESV vs. NASB and NIV. I couldn't remember the difference so I went to look it up. I knew that John Piper and Tim Keller, both pastors and authors that I deeply respect have switched over to the ESV. All of the churches that we have attended over the past few years PCA or Reformed Baptist have also switched to the ESV. I did find a blog that explained the differences and that helped me ( http://thefoolishgalatian.wordpress.com/2007/10/22/niv-vs-esv-and-why-piper-switched/ ) I knew why I didn't like the KJV--it was written in the days when writers were paid by a patron and that often slanted the translation. The NKJV, from what I understand, is a revision of the KJV that uses more modern language. Most churches I have attended used the NIV until the ESV came out. The blog I found explained that the ESV is a more literal translation---like the NASB. The NASB is a very literal translation. The ESV has come to be consid...