Monday, August 11, 2008

Parental Authority

My Bible study that I'm going through right now is the Parent's Handbook to Shepherding a Child's Heart. The chapter I've been reading through is on Parental Authority. It has been challenging to me to realize that in the name of giving my daughters choices so that they can learn to make decisions, I have been giving up my authority and allowing them to be the authorities. Wow! When I shared this with Chris, he quickly identified that the areas where we slide are bedtimes, food, and what they wear. But, I am resolved to be a better parent!

Sami is quite strong willed and Autumn copies her when she realizes what Sami is permitted to do--or, I'll be honest, what she gets away with. This morning I realized that it really is time to start potty training Sami. I don't know why, but I dread potty training. It seems like such a big deal!

This morning, I matter of factly and gently told Sami that she was going to wear panties today and that every time Mommy tells her to go try, she needs to go try. She bucked me a little once in a while, but 8 of 10 times she did it right away when I told her to. And we had no accidents today! She even told me that she needed to go (with the help of Autumn speaking up) while we were driving home.

So, we'll see how tomorrow goes...

I have more thoughts about this chapter, but I think they'll have to wait for another day when I'm more awake!

1 comment:

Kim said...

Way to go Sami! And way to go Mommy! I've been struggling with the same issue (letting her get away with stuff) with my Sami. I look forward to reading your thoughts on this topic.