Friday, January 22, 2010

Not sure what to think...

I have had a lot to contemplate this week about the books I read. Today I have something new. I am having a new experience. For the first time, I am reviewing a book by someone that a good friend of mine knows. Because of that, I have knowledge of who this person is--not who they present themselves to be in their book. I connected the two last night when I read the description of the author.

So, I find myself in a quandary. How does that affect how I feel about the book? How does it shape what information I'll take from the book? Can I trust the advice the author gives in her book? Do I want to look to her book for advice?

Here are the conclusions I've come to after talking to my husband about it and a friend. My friend pointed out to me that a lot of people present themselves one way and really are another. But, we love them and show them grace anyways.

My husband pointed out that I need to review the book based on the book's own merits and exclude what I know. He compared it to watching Minority Report. He enjoys the movie, but doesn't agree with Tom Cruise's beliefs at all. I think this may be a little different because this is a nonfiction book (not a fiction one), but I definitely can see his point.

I think the conclusion that I am coming to is that for this particular book, I can review it on its own merits. I had written, but not published, my review before I realized who she was and I will leave it as it is. If I was reviewing one of the books that she's previously written--because of their subject matter--I don't know if I'd be able to do the same. I'd really have to pray about it. My thought at this time is that I'd have to return the book and abstain from reviewing it period--if it was one of her other books. When I review the book I just read, I realize that I'm not giving a blanket recommendation to her other books or website.

2 comments:

Deb said...

Actually, you know who your friend has presented this person to be. I say review the book on its own merits. God can speak even through a donkey.

Anne said...

Yes, I think the hard thing is to know that someone has written about something that they themselves haven't experienced yet. In our humanness, I think we do often speak into the lives of others when we haven't been in their shoes. An example of this might be someone writing a book about how to be a single mom who hasn't been a single mom. Does that make sense? And yes, you are right that God can even speak through a donkey =) and that point is a good one.