Saturday, January 23, 2010

A thought...

So, here's a thought that was shared with me today.

We all put our best foot forward. A friend shared with me that every psychiatrist she's known in her life has their own problems, too. Yes, sometimes it might seem like we don't take our own advice--but don't we all do that? We know what the best choices are to make and yet we still sin and give in to ourselves. And God still forgives us. I think we need to have grace for each other just as God does for us.

Here's an example: How can I respond to a mom of a one year old who tells me she knows exactly how I should discipline my three kids? By listening and then realizing that someday she may know herself what it's like to have 3 kids and the craziness that ensues sometimes. And on the other hand she may never know--but that's okay. Rebuking or responding curtly would only be hurtful and unkind. I think it's one of those things that I'm learning with age--to realize that they too will learn someday the lessons I've learned and am learning as I'm growing older. It's not my job or responsibility to do God's job. It's His and His alone. My job is to love people and to love them well.

Every time in my life that I have thought I knew what to do in someone else's shoes, God has given me a chance to experience that--and be humbled. Today what loving others means to me is to tread softly and carefully with steps full of grace--forgiveness, acceptance, and humility. I think that's one of the things about convictions--we believe so strongly in our own convictions that often we think that our way is the best way for everyone else, too. We think we're right--"more right" than other moms. But, it's just not true. We're all so different from one another and our children are different from one another too--as are our spouses and situations. Advice can be helpful as ideas of things to try and consider.

But, please don't think that I don't think there aren't absolutes--there are. The Bible is the Truth. God does give us direction and guidance in His Word. But, also God says that it is not for me to judge the speck in another's eye, but rather to love others because it is by loving one another that His love is made complete in us and through us. =)

And now, I need to go lay down--the kids and I are all sick at the same time. Thankfully, this doesn't happen all at once like this very often!


No comments: