Skip to main content

Missing something...

Recently, I received the CBD catalogue arrived in the mail and I saw a book by R.C. Sproul called The Lightlings on the front.  I haven't read any of R.C. Sproul's books actually, but I know that I would feel comfortable reading one of his books.  I was curious about this book, because the description said that it was for children and that it is an allegorical tale about the fall and the birth of Christ.

Typically, when I review books, the publisher sends me a hard copy of the book.  I like this because I am one of those people that writes in their books (actually all over them!).  I also like being able to pick up a book and not having to turn on the computer to read it when I can catch a few quiet minutes in my house.  It is also far easier to share a book with my children if I have the book in my hands.  It doesn't work so well for all of us to try and look at a computer screen.

In this case, that was my option for reading this book.  I contacted Reformation Trust, R.C. Sproul's publisher and I was sent a pdf file of this book rather than a hard copy. 

So, yesterday afternoon I sat down and read The Lightlings.  It was a very quick read.  It's written for about 5-8 year old children.  The vocabulary is right about that level and the illustrations are very engaging.  The illustrations were my favorite part.

The story was okay.  I think it could have been a lot better though.  In not adding in too many details, the heart of the story seemed to be missing.  The biggest hole in the story was why the king of the lightlings sent the baby to live among them.  Without knowing the reason, it didn't make sense to me.  What I felt as I finished the story, was that I just wanted more.  More details, more story.  I think this story would have been better fleshed out with more details written for 7-10 year olds.

I wouldn't recommend this book.  It might be nice to check out of the library, but I think there are other books that would help children understand God's story more easily and gain a deeper understanding.

Please note that I received a complimentary copy of a pdf file of this book from Reformation Trust for review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grieved

Why is it that my generation (I belong to Gen X) and generations after us always seem to think that they know more than the generations that have come before us? Why is there such a lack of respect in our generation for our elders? Why do we think that the liturgy of the church and hymns are irrelevant? It is ironic to me that the emergent movement is saying that the seeker sensitive movement is irrelevant. It seems as if it was only a few years ago when it was the seeker sensitive movement that said to the traditional church that it (the traditional church) was irrelevant. I'm reading a book with all of these big words and I want to be honest--I didn't understand a lot of it. I'm not dumb. I understood most of it, but the author was assuming a lot of background knowledge on the part of the reader. Most of the time I learn deep theological concepts and then I have to store them in my "attic" (as Autumn would say) because there isn't enough room in the ...

Missing Pieces

The other day I was discussing a book with my mom and explaining to her my concern about how "blame" is cast upon the child in the story.  My mom commented about how deeply I read and consider what is written. Sometimes I wonder if I go overboard.  Am I questioning too much?  Am I overreacting? Why am I reacting this way? I come back to knowing that God wired me this way.  But, I also reflect on how God has guided my path through the maze of books I've read over the past few years and what I've learned from the books themselves and from reading them.   Recently, I read a book that troubled me.  The book I finished reading was  Guiltless Living  by Ginger Hubbard.  When I began reading it, I found myself puzzled and then disconcerted. And in the end, I cried. But, I cried for a different reason than one might suspect. I'd like to explain. I did not read Ms. Hubbard's previous book “ Don't Make Me Count to Three ”, but I knew from f...

ESV, NIV, or NASB and then there's the ICB, ESV or NIrV...which should we read?

I am so thankful for my friend's question about the ESV vs. NASB and NIV. I couldn't remember the difference so I went to look it up. I knew that John Piper and Tim Keller, both pastors and authors that I deeply respect have switched over to the ESV. All of the churches that we have attended over the past few years PCA or Reformed Baptist have also switched to the ESV. I did find a blog that explained the differences and that helped me ( http://thefoolishgalatian.wordpress.com/2007/10/22/niv-vs-esv-and-why-piper-switched/ ) I knew why I didn't like the KJV--it was written in the days when writers were paid by a patron and that often slanted the translation. The NKJV, from what I understand, is a revision of the KJV that uses more modern language. Most churches I have attended used the NIV until the ESV came out. The blog I found explained that the ESV is a more literal translation---like the NASB. The NASB is a very literal translation. The ESV has come to be consid...