Monday, May 17, 2010

Work

I was struck by a thought last night as I was pushing hard to get dinner on the table.  Often, I have a wrong attitude about the work I have before me each day. Often.  I may not always verbalize it,  but the feelings are there in my heart.  Unfortunately I do say something about how I'm feeling more often than I'd like to my kids. 


I thought about what it would be like if I didn't do the work before me in the day.  What if I didn't do the laundry, pick up, do the dishes, and cook dinner?  What would our lives be like?  Is that the way I'd want things to be?  And then I realized that no.  I wouldn't want things that way. 


I want my kids to get to wear clean clothes.  I want to be able to find things (like the bracket for the front door that my husband asked for yesterday from the garage).  I want to eat yummy food.  


I realized that just as I prayed and asked God to change my heart about painting my house eight years ago (when I didn't like doing it), I need to pray and ask God to change my heart about my chores and work.  These are the tasks that he has set before me today and I want to glorify Him by doing them well with a grateful heart. 


2 Thessalonians 2 (NIV)
13But we ought always to thank God for you, brothers loved by the Lord, because from the beginning God chose you to be saved through the sanctifying work of the Spirit and through belief in the truth. 14He called you to this through our gospel, that you might share in the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. 15So then, brothers, stand firm and hold to the teachings we passed on to you, whether by word of mouth or by letter.
 16May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, 17encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word.

This passage was near a passage in my Bible study this morning. =)  

No comments: