Skip to main content

Important Things to Remember...

A lot of people I know, me included, often feel skeptical about the 700 club and Pat Robertson.  I think this is mostly due to how outspoken he has been about many world events and people and his opinions.  This morning, my mom mentioned that she had been watching it and that there was a singer on the show named Regie something talking about his new book and album.  I was curious who it was.  So, I looked it up.  After a little searching, I came upon his website:  www.regiehamm.com.  His new book is the story about him and his wife and their little girl that they adopted from China.  She has a rare genetic disorder called Angelman's Syndrome.  He wrote a very touching and powerful entry in his blog at this link:  http://www.regiehamm.com/blog/blog.asp?ID=40  .  It reminded me of what love really is.  Please share this link with friends and family if it touches your heart.  One of the greatest blessings of Facebook and blogs, I think, is that we get the chance to share things that we learn about that we might not otherwise have the chance to pass along.

Last month, I reviewed a fiction book that I had a few concerns about.  One of my concerns was that the ending to the story could be construed that it would be better if your child did not have a disability than if they did.  I was concerned about how this might make a parent who has a child with special needs feel.  This blog entry by Regie Hamm reminded me of why I was concerned.  It also gave me a peek into how children with special needs are such a blessing to everyone who knows them and has the chance to love them.

Comments

Deb said…
As an aside, I've been healed by God through the 700 words of knowledge twice! And my mom gave her life to Christ when I was 10 when she was watching it. God works through what He wills :)

Popular posts from this blog

Grieved

Why is it that my generation (I belong to Gen X) and generations after us always seem to think that they know more than the generations that have come before us? Why is there such a lack of respect in our generation for our elders? Why do we think that the liturgy of the church and hymns are irrelevant? It is ironic to me that the emergent movement is saying that the seeker sensitive movement is irrelevant. It seems as if it was only a few years ago when it was the seeker sensitive movement that said to the traditional church that it (the traditional church) was irrelevant. I'm reading a book with all of these big words and I want to be honest--I didn't understand a lot of it. I'm not dumb. I understood most of it, but the author was assuming a lot of background knowledge on the part of the reader. Most of the time I learn deep theological concepts and then I have to store them in my "attic" (as Autumn would say) because there isn't enough room in the ...

Missing Pieces

The other day I was discussing a book with my mom and explaining to her my concern about how "blame" is cast upon the child in the story.  My mom commented about how deeply I read and consider what is written. Sometimes I wonder if I go overboard.  Am I questioning too much?  Am I overreacting? Why am I reacting this way? I come back to knowing that God wired me this way.  But, I also reflect on how God has guided my path through the maze of books I've read over the past few years and what I've learned from the books themselves and from reading them.   Recently, I read a book that troubled me.  The book I finished reading was  Guiltless Living  by Ginger Hubbard.  When I began reading it, I found myself puzzled and then disconcerted. And in the end, I cried. But, I cried for a different reason than one might suspect. I'd like to explain. I did not read Ms. Hubbard's previous book “ Don't Make Me Count to Three ”, but I knew from f...

ESV, NIV, or NASB and then there's the ICB, ESV or NIrV...which should we read?

I am so thankful for my friend's question about the ESV vs. NASB and NIV. I couldn't remember the difference so I went to look it up. I knew that John Piper and Tim Keller, both pastors and authors that I deeply respect have switched over to the ESV. All of the churches that we have attended over the past few years PCA or Reformed Baptist have also switched to the ESV. I did find a blog that explained the differences and that helped me ( http://thefoolishgalatian.wordpress.com/2007/10/22/niv-vs-esv-and-why-piper-switched/ ) I knew why I didn't like the KJV--it was written in the days when writers were paid by a patron and that often slanted the translation. The NKJV, from what I understand, is a revision of the KJV that uses more modern language. Most churches I have attended used the NIV until the ESV came out. The blog I found explained that the ESV is a more literal translation---like the NASB. The NASB is a very literal translation. The ESV has come to be consid...