Skip to main content

More Reason to Be Careful What We Watch...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/14/business/media/14indecent.html?_r=1

I opened up the Baltimore Sun this morning and read about how a court struck down the Bush era regulations about obscenity on television.  I wanted to post a link about this article from the New York Times just to spread the word.  The hardest part that I see with this is that I will feel even less comfortable letting my children watch anything on live television--if there aren't any limits.  It saddens me that in our society, we are so me focused that we have pursued this freedom to spew obscenities on public television.

I am reminded about God and his authority in our lives.  I think a lot of people don't want to believe in God because they don't want to have to submit to his authority.  They don't want anyone to tell them what to do.  The thing is--God knows what's best for that.  Perhaps it's pride that makes us as humans think we can figure everything out.  The reality is that we can't.  And we don't know what's always best for us--in the same way that our children think they know what is best (though we all know they don't).  Our children have a lot to learn and so do we as we grow up.  I am thankful for God's boundaries in my life and for his authority.  I am thankful I'm not caught in the trap thinking that I should have the right to say whatever I want to whenever I want to.  It's really a harmful lie.

I grieve for our children and what they will hear on the television--and for what we will hear as well if we turn it on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grieved

Why is it that my generation (I belong to Gen X) and generations after us always seem to think that they know more than the generations that have come before us? Why is there such a lack of respect in our generation for our elders? Why do we think that the liturgy of the church and hymns are irrelevant? It is ironic to me that the emergent movement is saying that the seeker sensitive movement is irrelevant. It seems as if it was only a few years ago when it was the seeker sensitive movement that said to the traditional church that it (the traditional church) was irrelevant. I'm reading a book with all of these big words and I want to be honest--I didn't understand a lot of it. I'm not dumb. I understood most of it, but the author was assuming a lot of background knowledge on the part of the reader. Most of the time I learn deep theological concepts and then I have to store them in my "attic" (as Autumn would say) because there isn't enough room in the ...

Missing Pieces

The other day I was discussing a book with my mom and explaining to her my concern about how "blame" is cast upon the child in the story.  My mom commented about how deeply I read and consider what is written. Sometimes I wonder if I go overboard.  Am I questioning too much?  Am I overreacting? Why am I reacting this way? I come back to knowing that God wired me this way.  But, I also reflect on how God has guided my path through the maze of books I've read over the past few years and what I've learned from the books themselves and from reading them.   Recently, I read a book that troubled me.  The book I finished reading was  Guiltless Living  by Ginger Hubbard.  When I began reading it, I found myself puzzled and then disconcerted. And in the end, I cried. But, I cried for a different reason than one might suspect. I'd like to explain. I did not read Ms. Hubbard's previous book “ Don't Make Me Count to Three ”, but I knew from f...

ESV, NIV, or NASB and then there's the ICB, ESV or NIrV...which should we read?

I am so thankful for my friend's question about the ESV vs. NASB and NIV. I couldn't remember the difference so I went to look it up. I knew that John Piper and Tim Keller, both pastors and authors that I deeply respect have switched over to the ESV. All of the churches that we have attended over the past few years PCA or Reformed Baptist have also switched to the ESV. I did find a blog that explained the differences and that helped me ( http://thefoolishgalatian.wordpress.com/2007/10/22/niv-vs-esv-and-why-piper-switched/ ) I knew why I didn't like the KJV--it was written in the days when writers were paid by a patron and that often slanted the translation. The NKJV, from what I understand, is a revision of the KJV that uses more modern language. Most churches I have attended used the NIV until the ESV came out. The blog I found explained that the ESV is a more literal translation---like the NASB. The NASB is a very literal translation. The ESV has come to be consid...