Sunday, January 18, 2009

being thankful for my children

Last year I read two books, The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns. They opened my eyes to a part of the world that I knew nothing about. I heard from someone that they were surprised the Kite Runner was not biographical because it was so true to life.

Right now, I am reading a book called Love in the Driest Season by Neely Tucker. Every time I read a page of this book, I cry. It is the story of Aids and Africa, of racism here and abroad, of a biracial marriage, of adoption, of the foreign press, of so many, many things. I know nothing about Africa and particularly nothing about AIDS. I am learning a lot.

One thing I have been continually thankful for today is my children and their health. I have spent the past 2 days entirely in my house--due to cold weather and a battery in my car that doesn't work. But, they've been good days. The kids and I have just been playing and living. My husband is gone this weekend and will return tonight, so he can help me get a new battery =)

I am thankful. I forget daily truly how much I have to be thankful to the Lord for. I am humbled by every page I read in this book. I highly recommend this book. My children will certainly read it someday when they are in High school or college and old enough to understand it. It is important that they read it. It is important that I read it.

1 comment:

Kim said...

We are blessed, aren't we?!