Skip to main content

You'll laugh at me...

I know you'll laugh at me, but I think that today is the first day my kids have played in the mud. And yes, I actually mean first time ever. Pretty crazy, huh? We went over to a new friend's house and her kids are quite used to playing in the mud and making mud pies. They had a wonderful tree house that had a very fast slide (Eli went up and down until he almost toppled and then he refrained from wanting to do it again. He didn't topple off, he just bobbled a bit going down.) Anyways, it made me smile to see them so comfortable with mud and getting dirty and me comfortable with letting them get dirty =) I'm glad they had such fun! Maybe I should make a mud puddle at our house for them!

Sometimes I just need the good example of friends to help me be comfortable with not being in control and being neat =)

Comments

becky.onelittle said…
I'm smiling. Elizabeth has discovered the joy of dirt. Whenever we work in the garden she starts throwing handfuls of precious black dirt out of my raised beds, or piling them up and burying her hands in it. She's ruining our seeds :) She says 'I love my garden. I love my garden dirt. I plant garden? I dig in the garden.'
When we first moved in here we bought all the boys sturdy shovels and they spend hours digging all over the yard- well within reason. In the dog pen they've dug a huge pit, but they gave up on China.
Dirt and mud are huge attractions here; although we frown on wasting water to make mud (unfortunately it has happened several times a summer anyway).
Anne said…
That's awesome! =)
Deb said…
How fun! Brea must step in every single mud puddle she sees. She's going to be the girl who wears galoshes year-round, I can see :)
Mel said…
This reminds me of my post...
http://www.thecorkums.com/2010/03/09/loosen-up/
Nicole said…
Much of the reason we have a rain barrel is so the kids have water with which to play. When it's empty, no more water.

I also use it when they're REALLY muddy to do a preliminary rinse before letting them into the house!

We made our rain barrel at a workshop at the Anita C. Leight Estuary Center.

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison of Verses

Tonight I was reading the Mom's Bible again (NCV) and compared this verse: NCV Ephesians 5:22-24 22 Wives, yield to your husbands, as you do to the Lord, 23 because the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ is the head of the church. And he is the Savior of the body, which is the church. 24 As the church yields to Christ, so you wives should yield to your husbands in everything. NIV Ephesians 5:22-24 22 Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything. The Message 22-24 Wives, understand and support your husbands in ways that show your support for Christ. The husband provides leadership to his wife the way Christ does to his church, not by domineering but by cherishing. So just as the church submits to Christ as he exercises such leadership, wives should likewis...

Grieved

Why is it that my generation (I belong to Gen X) and generations after us always seem to think that they know more than the generations that have come before us? Why is there such a lack of respect in our generation for our elders? Why do we think that the liturgy of the church and hymns are irrelevant? It is ironic to me that the emergent movement is saying that the seeker sensitive movement is irrelevant. It seems as if it was only a few years ago when it was the seeker sensitive movement that said to the traditional church that it (the traditional church) was irrelevant. I'm reading a book with all of these big words and I want to be honest--I didn't understand a lot of it. I'm not dumb. I understood most of it, but the author was assuming a lot of background knowledge on the part of the reader. Most of the time I learn deep theological concepts and then I have to store them in my "attic" (as Autumn would say) because there isn't enough room in the ...

ESV, NIV, or NASB and then there's the ICB, ESV or NIrV...which should we read?

I am so thankful for my friend's question about the ESV vs. NASB and NIV. I couldn't remember the difference so I went to look it up. I knew that John Piper and Tim Keller, both pastors and authors that I deeply respect have switched over to the ESV. All of the churches that we have attended over the past few years PCA or Reformed Baptist have also switched to the ESV. I did find a blog that explained the differences and that helped me ( http://thefoolishgalatian.wordpress.com/2007/10/22/niv-vs-esv-and-why-piper-switched/ ) I knew why I didn't like the KJV--it was written in the days when writers were paid by a patron and that often slanted the translation. The NKJV, from what I understand, is a revision of the KJV that uses more modern language. Most churches I have attended used the NIV until the ESV came out. The blog I found explained that the ESV is a more literal translation---like the NASB. The NASB is a very literal translation. The ESV has come to be consid...