Friday, June 26, 2009

Bible Story Books

So, for the past 2 weeks, my girls and I have been reading the princess devotional Bible at night and the Play 'n Learn Bible stories book. When I wrote my review of the princess devotional Bible, I noted that there weren't pictures of the stories. Overall, I liked the book, but that was my biggest concern. That concern is bigger now. I think that when it comes to Bible Story books, I would always recommend one that has pictures over one that doesn't. And unless your child knows the stories well, the way devotional Bibles jump around can be very confusing.

Sami is lost! She likes the devotional Bible because it's princessy, sort of. But, she cannot sit still. And this is a girl who loves books! It's starting to drive me crazy. I wouldn't take back the review I wrote of the book, but I would recommend other books over it. Which brings me to my complaint about the other book and an interesting thing I learned!!!

So, the ICB is a paraphrase and the NiRv is the NIV translation for kids with simpler sentences and more periods. BUT (!!!) I learned from a bookstore owner that the NLT (New Living Translation--really a paraphrase) is equivalent to the TNIV (which changed all language to gender neutral language). The TNIV got a lot of flack a few years ago, but the NLT flew under the radar. So, here's something that is really surprising me. I was reading the Play N Learn Bible stories (based on the NLT) and I discovered that it really matters! I was reading one of the stories and all of a sudden I said, out loud, "that isn't right!". The story was about Hannah and her prayer and it was really off the mark! So, I've learned a few lessons. I don't think I'm going to choose any more books based on the NLT. And I think I'm starting to realize that it matters in children's Bible stories which translation is used.

When it comes time, I'm going to get Autumn a copy of the NIRv and not the ICB. Any thoughts? Have you run into this?

No comments: