Skip to main content

Sweet Bible Story Book for little girls



So, we got a new devotional Bible for the girls in the mail today.

It was a very pleasant surprise—it was different than what I expected. God's Little Princess Devotional Bible is a collection of Bible stories with short reflections, activities, scriptures, and lessons for parents to read to their little girls. It is most appropriate for ages 5-7, but could be read to a 4 year old if they have good reading comprehension and can understand a story without pictures. Most of the stories from the Bible in this collection, focus on a woman in the Bible.

This book is a little different than every other collection of Bible stories that I have for my daughters. First, almost all of the stories each focus on a woman or at least include a girl or woman in the story—so, many people that are included in other children’s Bibles are not in this book—like David and Joseph. But, that isn’t necessarily a bad thing. This book was not intended, it seems, to give little girls a sense of all the stories in the Bible. The author has chosen specific stories to illustrate specific lessons—devotions—that she wants to share with little girls.

I am embarking on a new age with my oldest daughter. She has just finished kindergarten and I realized that there are a lot of things she is now ready to learn about. The devotions in this Bible hit the mark! They are what I’ve been looking for. I just read God’s promises for Girls to them, but it focused so much on God’s love and not on the reality that little girls do make bad choices sometimes, but they need to try to love God, love their families, and love others.

The one thing I would wish for this book is different illustrations. The reason I think it isn’t the best for a four year old is that there aren’t any pictures to go along with the Bible stories. That would make it difficult for little girls who need pictures to help them understand what is being read. In addition, the pictures of Gigi (I believe that is her name) seem to be of a very little girl (under 5), which is much younger than the girls who are most likely to read this book with their parents.

Overall, I would recommend this devotional Bible to any mom of a little girl who loves to dress up and who is looking for a Bible that combines lessons about manners, Bible stories, character lessons, and scripture. These are all the things I want to talk with my little girls about this summer!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grieved

Why is it that my generation (I belong to Gen X) and generations after us always seem to think that they know more than the generations that have come before us? Why is there such a lack of respect in our generation for our elders? Why do we think that the liturgy of the church and hymns are irrelevant? It is ironic to me that the emergent movement is saying that the seeker sensitive movement is irrelevant. It seems as if it was only a few years ago when it was the seeker sensitive movement that said to the traditional church that it (the traditional church) was irrelevant. I'm reading a book with all of these big words and I want to be honest--I didn't understand a lot of it. I'm not dumb. I understood most of it, but the author was assuming a lot of background knowledge on the part of the reader. Most of the time I learn deep theological concepts and then I have to store them in my "attic" (as Autumn would say) because there isn't enough room in the ...

Missing Pieces

The other day I was discussing a book with my mom and explaining to her my concern about how "blame" is cast upon the child in the story.  My mom commented about how deeply I read and consider what is written. Sometimes I wonder if I go overboard.  Am I questioning too much?  Am I overreacting? Why am I reacting this way? I come back to knowing that God wired me this way.  But, I also reflect on how God has guided my path through the maze of books I've read over the past few years and what I've learned from the books themselves and from reading them.   Recently, I read a book that troubled me.  The book I finished reading was  Guiltless Living  by Ginger Hubbard.  When I began reading it, I found myself puzzled and then disconcerted. And in the end, I cried. But, I cried for a different reason than one might suspect. I'd like to explain. I did not read Ms. Hubbard's previous book “ Don't Make Me Count to Three ”, but I knew from f...

ESV, NIV, or NASB and then there's the ICB, ESV or NIrV...which should we read?

I am so thankful for my friend's question about the ESV vs. NASB and NIV. I couldn't remember the difference so I went to look it up. I knew that John Piper and Tim Keller, both pastors and authors that I deeply respect have switched over to the ESV. All of the churches that we have attended over the past few years PCA or Reformed Baptist have also switched to the ESV. I did find a blog that explained the differences and that helped me ( http://thefoolishgalatian.wordpress.com/2007/10/22/niv-vs-esv-and-why-piper-switched/ ) I knew why I didn't like the KJV--it was written in the days when writers were paid by a patron and that often slanted the translation. The NKJV, from what I understand, is a revision of the KJV that uses more modern language. Most churches I have attended used the NIV until the ESV came out. The blog I found explained that the ESV is a more literal translation---like the NASB. The NASB is a very literal translation. The ESV has come to be consid...