Monday, June 29, 2009

Art in Words


I didn't really know what to expect. I requested this book after reading the first few pages. It seemed odd, different and yet potentially enjoyable.

Notes from a Tilt A Whirl by ND Wilson is exactly that. It is Odd. It is Different. It is unlike anything I've ever read before. And yet, it is hugely enjoyable! It is part poetry, part philosophy, part stream of consciousness writing, and all art in words. I'm sure that seems hard to imagine based on my description.

I remember reading E.E. Cummings poetry in school when I was growing up. I enjoyed it. I enjoyed the purposeful and different placement and use of words. This book reminds me of E.E. Cummings.

This book is published by Thomas Nelson, but it doesn't fit the mold of any of the subcategories of Christian books (in my mind). It is a book all of its own and one I would highly recommend if my description sounds intriguing. I don't think I can do it justice. It is a piece of art.

You can pick up this book and read a page, or even half a page and then smile to yourself at the cleverness of the words and stories shared. You can read a whole chapter and be overwhelmed by all the word pictures and stories you've had the chance to see in your mind.

There are cuss words in this book, there are things that you won't expect. This book doesn't fit any mold and yet it isn't irreverant to the Lord. I didn't think. Some people might be offended, but the author never meant to be offensive. He doesn't take the Lord's name in vain. But, he talks amidst the reality of life.

The author has a website--just google N.D. Wilson. If you read his biography and enjoy it, you'll enjoy his book. If you're looking for a fun read and you enjoy philosophy, poetry, and art, and most of all the beauty of this world that God has created--then go check out this book--I doubt you'll regret it! My husband can hardly wait to read it.

No comments: