Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Beware!!!

Okay, two bewares.

1. It surprises me when I read "Christian" books that aren't about Christ at all. I just read the Noticer by Andy Andrews. It is categorized as Christian Life/Self-Help. There isn't anything Christian about it. Christ is never mentioned. The premise of the book is basically that what you think about your life, that is what it will become. It's similar to The Secret (which I haven't read but have heard about) that came out a few years ago. It's also similar to the theology that Joel Osteen and Joyce Meyers preach. My heart is so grieved about it! I wrote a review (only 1 of 2 one star reviews on Amazon). I went back and read a lot of the reviews. No one even mentions God in their reviews. People genuinely believe that if you change your own perspective then your life will be great.

Whoa. No. That's not the answer! Christ is the answer! He died for us--sinners! He died to take away our sins--to save us. When he is at the center of our lives, then our lives will make sense--we will have "perspective", but without Him, we can't get perspective.

This reminds me a lot of the Shack. It reminded me that we have to be careful about what we read and put into our minds--bad theology begets more bad theology.

One blogger/website I found that is helpful: www.discerningreader.com Tim Challies has put together this website and analyzed various books and their theology. Another site I love is that of Hearts and Minds bookstore in Dallastown, PA. Their website is www.heartsandmindsbooks.com The owner, Byron, also blogs about books--both Christian and secular. I have really enjoyed his reviews!

2. Be careful about answering telemarketers calls just to be polite. Recently, I had a friend who answered the phone. They recorded his yes(s) out of order and manipulated his answers to say that he committed to purchase something. Now, they are threatening to take him to collections if he doesn't pay. The salesman was hard to understand (speech wise) and it sounded very similar to something he did know about. I know there are many times I've answered and tried to be polite in how I've hung up. But, I don't think I'm going to be answering any more!! I wanted to post that just so you would be aware.

Please forgive me if this entry sounds preachy. I just feel very passionate and alarmed about these two things and I feel like I want to shout it out from the rooftops and say Hey be careful! to all the people I love and care about =)

No comments: