Skip to main content

Beware!!!

Okay, two bewares.

1. It surprises me when I read "Christian" books that aren't about Christ at all. I just read the Noticer by Andy Andrews. It is categorized as Christian Life/Self-Help. There isn't anything Christian about it. Christ is never mentioned. The premise of the book is basically that what you think about your life, that is what it will become. It's similar to The Secret (which I haven't read but have heard about) that came out a few years ago. It's also similar to the theology that Joel Osteen and Joyce Meyers preach. My heart is so grieved about it! I wrote a review (only 1 of 2 one star reviews on Amazon). I went back and read a lot of the reviews. No one even mentions God in their reviews. People genuinely believe that if you change your own perspective then your life will be great.

Whoa. No. That's not the answer! Christ is the answer! He died for us--sinners! He died to take away our sins--to save us. When he is at the center of our lives, then our lives will make sense--we will have "perspective", but without Him, we can't get perspective.

This reminds me a lot of the Shack. It reminded me that we have to be careful about what we read and put into our minds--bad theology begets more bad theology.

One blogger/website I found that is helpful: www.discerningreader.com Tim Challies has put together this website and analyzed various books and their theology. Another site I love is that of Hearts and Minds bookstore in Dallastown, PA. Their website is www.heartsandmindsbooks.com The owner, Byron, also blogs about books--both Christian and secular. I have really enjoyed his reviews!

2. Be careful about answering telemarketers calls just to be polite. Recently, I had a friend who answered the phone. They recorded his yes(s) out of order and manipulated his answers to say that he committed to purchase something. Now, they are threatening to take him to collections if he doesn't pay. The salesman was hard to understand (speech wise) and it sounded very similar to something he did know about. I know there are many times I've answered and tried to be polite in how I've hung up. But, I don't think I'm going to be answering any more!! I wanted to post that just so you would be aware.

Please forgive me if this entry sounds preachy. I just feel very passionate and alarmed about these two things and I feel like I want to shout it out from the rooftops and say Hey be careful! to all the people I love and care about =)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grieved

Why is it that my generation (I belong to Gen X) and generations after us always seem to think that they know more than the generations that have come before us? Why is there such a lack of respect in our generation for our elders? Why do we think that the liturgy of the church and hymns are irrelevant? It is ironic to me that the emergent movement is saying that the seeker sensitive movement is irrelevant. It seems as if it was only a few years ago when it was the seeker sensitive movement that said to the traditional church that it (the traditional church) was irrelevant. I'm reading a book with all of these big words and I want to be honest--I didn't understand a lot of it. I'm not dumb. I understood most of it, but the author was assuming a lot of background knowledge on the part of the reader. Most of the time I learn deep theological concepts and then I have to store them in my "attic" (as Autumn would say) because there isn't enough room in the ...

Missing Pieces

The other day I was discussing a book with my mom and explaining to her my concern about how "blame" is cast upon the child in the story.  My mom commented about how deeply I read and consider what is written. Sometimes I wonder if I go overboard.  Am I questioning too much?  Am I overreacting? Why am I reacting this way? I come back to knowing that God wired me this way.  But, I also reflect on how God has guided my path through the maze of books I've read over the past few years and what I've learned from the books themselves and from reading them.   Recently, I read a book that troubled me.  The book I finished reading was  Guiltless Living  by Ginger Hubbard.  When I began reading it, I found myself puzzled and then disconcerted. And in the end, I cried. But, I cried for a different reason than one might suspect. I'd like to explain. I did not read Ms. Hubbard's previous book “ Don't Make Me Count to Three ”, but I knew from f...

ESV, NIV, or NASB and then there's the ICB, ESV or NIrV...which should we read?

I am so thankful for my friend's question about the ESV vs. NASB and NIV. I couldn't remember the difference so I went to look it up. I knew that John Piper and Tim Keller, both pastors and authors that I deeply respect have switched over to the ESV. All of the churches that we have attended over the past few years PCA or Reformed Baptist have also switched to the ESV. I did find a blog that explained the differences and that helped me ( http://thefoolishgalatian.wordpress.com/2007/10/22/niv-vs-esv-and-why-piper-switched/ ) I knew why I didn't like the KJV--it was written in the days when writers were paid by a patron and that often slanted the translation. The NKJV, from what I understand, is a revision of the KJV that uses more modern language. Most churches I have attended used the NIV until the ESV came out. The blog I found explained that the ESV is a more literal translation---like the NASB. The NASB is a very literal translation. The ESV has come to be consid...