Skip to main content

More Thoughts on Reading

Last night and the night before, I spent time reading a book that grieved my heart. At first, all I could think was "I don't like this book." But, then a friend reminded me of the book Honey for a Child's Heart by Gladys Hunt. I went to my bookshelf and picked up Honey for a Woman's Heart. I turned first to Ms. Hunt's discussion fiction and then of autobiographies and memoirs. Both sections gave me much to think about.

The book I read is called Never Tell Our Business to Strangers by Jennifer Mascia. It is her memoir of her life. She is 3 years younger than me. The first half is the story of her life with her parents. The second is the story of her years discovering who her parents really were and her father's connections to the mob. Ms. Mascia's writing is good, though the conversations she relates are very long.

The world she lived in is very foreign to me, though we both grew up in Southern California at the same time. But, does her book tell a story of real life? Yes, though it's heartbreaking to read for many reasons, it does.

What grieved me most about the story was that the author grated on my nerves as she wailed about her life and treated her parents horribly--just as they treated her horribly. Neither respected the other though they claimed love for one another. And when she grew up, her choices didn't change.

The best way I can describe this book is that it portrays the depravity of man and life without faith in God. I was listening to Ravi Zacharias yesterday in the car after church and he told a good story--one that made an impression on me. It was the story of a man and a janitor, I believe, who asked to paint a picture of him. The man wanted to spend time with the other so he agreed. After a few sessions, the man's wife came in and saw the painting. She screamed. The man got up and went to see the picture being painted of him. He was horrified--it didn't look at all like him. The painter replied that he wanted him to see what he would be like if he doubted God and walked away from his faith. He wanted him to see life without God.

For me, reading this book reminded of what life is like without God--and I wouldn't want to live that way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grieved

Why is it that my generation (I belong to Gen X) and generations after us always seem to think that they know more than the generations that have come before us? Why is there such a lack of respect in our generation for our elders? Why do we think that the liturgy of the church and hymns are irrelevant? It is ironic to me that the emergent movement is saying that the seeker sensitive movement is irrelevant. It seems as if it was only a few years ago when it was the seeker sensitive movement that said to the traditional church that it (the traditional church) was irrelevant. I'm reading a book with all of these big words and I want to be honest--I didn't understand a lot of it. I'm not dumb. I understood most of it, but the author was assuming a lot of background knowledge on the part of the reader. Most of the time I learn deep theological concepts and then I have to store them in my "attic" (as Autumn would say) because there isn't enough room in the ...

Missing Pieces

The other day I was discussing a book with my mom and explaining to her my concern about how "blame" is cast upon the child in the story.  My mom commented about how deeply I read and consider what is written. Sometimes I wonder if I go overboard.  Am I questioning too much?  Am I overreacting? Why am I reacting this way? I come back to knowing that God wired me this way.  But, I also reflect on how God has guided my path through the maze of books I've read over the past few years and what I've learned from the books themselves and from reading them.   Recently, I read a book that troubled me.  The book I finished reading was  Guiltless Living  by Ginger Hubbard.  When I began reading it, I found myself puzzled and then disconcerted. And in the end, I cried. But, I cried for a different reason than one might suspect. I'd like to explain. I did not read Ms. Hubbard's previous book “ Don't Make Me Count to Three ”, but I knew from f...

ESV, NIV, or NASB and then there's the ICB, ESV or NIrV...which should we read?

I am so thankful for my friend's question about the ESV vs. NASB and NIV. I couldn't remember the difference so I went to look it up. I knew that John Piper and Tim Keller, both pastors and authors that I deeply respect have switched over to the ESV. All of the churches that we have attended over the past few years PCA or Reformed Baptist have also switched to the ESV. I did find a blog that explained the differences and that helped me ( http://thefoolishgalatian.wordpress.com/2007/10/22/niv-vs-esv-and-why-piper-switched/ ) I knew why I didn't like the KJV--it was written in the days when writers were paid by a patron and that often slanted the translation. The NKJV, from what I understand, is a revision of the KJV that uses more modern language. Most churches I have attended used the NIV until the ESV came out. The blog I found explained that the ESV is a more literal translation---like the NASB. The NASB is a very literal translation. The ESV has come to be consid...