Tuesday, March 9, 2010

You'll laugh at me...

I know you'll laugh at me, but I think that today is the first day my kids have played in the mud. And yes, I actually mean first time ever. Pretty crazy, huh? We went over to a new friend's house and her kids are quite used to playing in the mud and making mud pies. They had a wonderful tree house that had a very fast slide (Eli went up and down until he almost toppled and then he refrained from wanting to do it again. He didn't topple off, he just bobbled a bit going down.) Anyways, it made me smile to see them so comfortable with mud and getting dirty and me comfortable with letting them get dirty =) I'm glad they had such fun! Maybe I should make a mud puddle at our house for them!

Sometimes I just need the good example of friends to help me be comfortable with not being in control and being neat =)

5 comments:

becky.onelittle said...

I'm smiling. Elizabeth has discovered the joy of dirt. Whenever we work in the garden she starts throwing handfuls of precious black dirt out of my raised beds, or piling them up and burying her hands in it. She's ruining our seeds :) She says 'I love my garden. I love my garden dirt. I plant garden? I dig in the garden.'
When we first moved in here we bought all the boys sturdy shovels and they spend hours digging all over the yard- well within reason. In the dog pen they've dug a huge pit, but they gave up on China.
Dirt and mud are huge attractions here; although we frown on wasting water to make mud (unfortunately it has happened several times a summer anyway).

Anne said...

That's awesome! =)

Deb said...

How fun! Brea must step in every single mud puddle she sees. She's going to be the girl who wears galoshes year-round, I can see :)

Mel said...

This reminds me of my post...
http://www.thecorkums.com/2010/03/09/loosen-up/

Nicole said...

Much of the reason we have a rain barrel is so the kids have water with which to play. When it's empty, no more water.

I also use it when they're REALLY muddy to do a preliminary rinse before letting them into the house!

We made our rain barrel at a workshop at the Anita C. Leight Estuary Center.