Thursday, March 11, 2010

Solid, Encouraging Devotional

As I finished this book this morning, I thought about what I wanted to write in this review. I realized that I had begun reading this book looking for a Bible Study rather than a Devotional (since I had just finished two of her Bible studies). So, my expectations weren't met. But, they shouldn't have been. I realized this morning that devotionals are different--they are intended to share a few thoughts with you, maybe a verse or two, and a matter for prayer. That is exactly what Cynthia Heald does in this study. Often devotionals have a theme and the theme of this study is to draw a woman closer to the Lord. I loved what she shared and appreciated her honesty and openness about things she's struggled with and which God has taught her through. One of the things that I appreciate most about Ms. Heald is that she points people to the Lord, not to herself or others. Her heart is not to get mired down in the tragedy or struggles, but to acknowledge them, understand what it feels like to be in them, and then look to the Lord for wisdom and truth. I will say that I know I would have gotten a lot more out of this devotional if I had spent more time with the Lord in prayer at the end of each devotional. That is my weakness right now (with 3 little kids, homeschooling, and a puppy) that I'm not very good at sitting quietly with the Lord. But, I feel Him prompting me more and more in how I can pursue that... I think the next study for me to do is Ms. Heald's Becoming a woman of Simplicity Bible study...

If you enjoy devotionals, this is a wonderful one that is easy to read! I hope you will enjoy it! I think this devotional would be wonderful for any Christian woman--whether you've been walking with the Lord for many years or have just recently come to know Him.

I did realize in reading this book, that I'm not a big devotional reader. I prefer Bible Studies and books--like the one I'm reading now which I love! But, I know many people, like my mother in law love devotionals. I'm not quite sure why I don't gravitate to them as much or why I prefer other books...

Please note that I did receive a complimentary copy of this book from Navpress for review.

No comments: