Friday, May 20, 2011

Friendship

Friendship is a curious thing.  There are friendships that whither and some that grow.  There are friendships that survive distance and others that don't.  There are some friends you may talk to once a year and feel as if you just spoke with them yesterday, but there are others that you run into and feel at a loss for words with.  There are some friends you call to rejoice with and cry with.  There are friends you know you can call at any time of day if there's an emergency, but others that you might hesitate to call or lean on.  


When you find friends who you can trust, you've found a treasure.


When you find a friend who when you talk to them and haven't spoken in a year and it feels as if you're picking up where you left off, then you've found a treasure.


When you find a friend who needs you and you need, you've found a treasure.


When you find a friend who listens and doesn't just hear you, then you've found a treasure.


When you find a friend who will listen even when they're mind is preoccupied, you've found a treasure.


When you find a friend who will check on you when you haven't spoken in a while, you've found a treasure.


When you find a friend who you can be yourself with, what a treasure you've found.


This was a week of spending time with friends for us as we neared the end of our school year.  One particular friend was one who I'd never been to her home before.  It was such a blessing to hear the story of her home and see how it reflected her family.  She told me this wonderful story of how her family searched for a magnetic refrigerator, because a refrigerator without pictures just isn't home.  I don't think I'll ever forget this story.  I was struck by the joy of spending time with this friend who wanted to spend time with me.  Whenever I realize this or have a similar thought, I am often brought to tears by the realization.  I enjoyed her company and was blessed by all that she shared with me--her home and her heart.  


Then, today while shopping, I ran into a friend I hadn't seen in a year.  What a blessing it was to see her!  She heard my voice and found me!  She has one of those gentle, giving hearts that always cheers me when I get to catch up with her.  There is also something about her that always feels so familiar in such a comforting way.


What I am often struck by is that friendship requires two people that want to be friends.  I would daresay that they even need each other's friendship.  Friendship is a dear gift from the Lord.



Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 (ESV)


 9Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. 10For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up! 11Again, if two lie together, they keep warm, but how can one keep warm alone? 12And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him—a threefold cord is not quickly broken.

No comments: