Monday, May 4, 2009

A thought about homeschooling

On Saturday we had a couple over and the husband asked why we homeschool. Chris succinctly answered that it is because we feel we can give a better education to our kids at home. If we didn't, then we wouldn't do it. But, then on Sunday, I was chatting with a gal at church and I realized that most of the time I think of homeschooling in terms of what it does for the kids--the benefits for them, not for us as a family or for me and Chris. The gal mentioned that when homeschooling, the parents don't have to run kids to and from school every day and then tackle homework every night.

It made me realize that I don't have to do that! Every May, I am relieved when the preschool year ends =) and I have a few months off from getting my child off to the high school twice a week (and it's only 1/4 mile away!!) =)

It made me realize how thankful I am to be homeschooling and that although it seems to make life crazier in some ways--I think it actually makes it more manageable for me!

2 comments:

Kim said...

Good point. I have often had the same thought about being a SAHM. When a kid is sick there is no negotiating who stays home, and when it snows I only have to go outside if I want to. I can honestly say that this year with driving Abby to school 3 days a week I have felt busier and less productive than ever.

Anne said...

=) I agree.